DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Lenses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/487618-lenses.html)

Darin Holiday November 17th, 2010 01:15 PM

Lenses

What lenses can this use? I heard it has to have a manual aperture ring?

Thanks!

Olof Ekbergh November 17th, 2010 02:58 PM

Here is a quick summary as I understand the current lens situation.

The great thing about micro 4/3 is that the lens mount is very close to the imager. This means pretty much any 4/3 lens or any lens for larger imagers will work with an adapter without optical element.

Currently mechanical Nikon and Canon (FD and FL) glass work as well as various cinematic lenses.

These adapters are available. The adapters for modern Canon L and new Nikon lenses are in the works and should ship soon.

Some lenses will display information in your view finder and have AF capability, but not all. Personally I like mechanical manual better anyway.

I still have a bunch of FL and FD Canons as well as lots of new L glass. I have ordered an AF100 because I love the idea of a video camera for this price that will be able to use my still lenses. And it will work with the NanoFlash.

I will be posting some photos using those lenses in my Lumix cam that I just ordered, I also ordered a couple adapters. Stay tuned. This is an exiting time.

Nigel Barker November 18th, 2010 02:14 AM

The Canon FD lenses are all old now but are very cheap on eBay not least because they cannot be used with any modern Canon so people buying manual lenses for their 5D/7D etc have gone for Nikons etc which has driven up the prices on those brands. They are beautiful lenses as they are very solidly built & have lovely optics. The only downside as with all other lenses designed for 35mm cameras is that when used on Micro 4/3 format cameras there is a 2X crop factor so wide angle lenses will be a problem as even 14mm rectilinear (the widest non-fisheye FD lens) becomes an effective 28mm on the AF100. On the other hand the long end becomes very interesting as the 50mm F1.2L becomes an 100mm & the 400mm F2.8L becomes an amazing 800mm! http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...nses/index.htm

Lee Turner November 18th, 2010 09:09 AM

I'm i reading this right, that you can use the canon FD lens on this camera ? Do you think we will be able to use Any medium format lens too ?

Olof Ekbergh November 18th, 2010 11:03 AM

There may be medium format adapters available. I have not searched for any yet.

Certainly it is possible. I actually still have a Hasselblad 180 from the 60's, let me know if you find an adapter.

Ron Little November 18th, 2010 11:14 AM

Will the Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX work on this camera?

If so where do I get the adapter and what do I ask for?

Guy McLoughlin November 18th, 2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Little (Post 1589342)
Will the Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX work on this camera?

What mount is your Tokina lens set-up for?

Ron Little November 18th, 2010 02:15 PM

It mounts on a Canon 7d.

Guy McLoughlin November 18th, 2010 04:38 PM

Then you just need to find a Canon EF to 4/3 adapter, which is definitely coming.

Ron Little November 19th, 2010 08:42 AM

What zoom lense will have full auto function for run and gun situations?

Guy McLoughlin November 19th, 2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Little (Post 1589650)
What zoom lense will have full auto function for run and gun situations?

I don't think there will ever be any for this camera. It's not designed for ENG style run'n'gun shooting. The best you can hope for is electronically controlled aperture and focus with manually controlled zoom.

This is why I am keeping my HMC-150 camera for run'n'gun shoots.

Ron Little November 20th, 2010 08:11 PM

Thanks, you just saved me some money.

Sanjin Svajger November 21st, 2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy McLoughlin (Post 1589713)
I don't think there will ever be any for this camera. It's not designed for ENG style run'n'gun shooting. The best you can hope for is electronically controlled aperture and focus with manually controlled zoom.

What about micro 4/3 lenses...?!

Guy McLoughlin November 21st, 2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanjin Svajger (Post 1590350)
What about micro 4/3 lenses...?!

Some 4/3 lenses have electronic focus and aperture, but I don't know of any that have a motorized power zoom.

I think that a 4/3 lens with motorized zoom control would be very big ( heavier than the AF-100 camera body ) and very expensive. ( more expensive than the camera body )

Sanjin Svajger November 22nd, 2010 04:40 AM

Oh... I see. I thought it had a zoom rocker on the right side but then I looked again and it doesn't. Oh well, looks like extra gear for zooming:)