DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Recording On Screen Display - Time Date Stamp (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/487821-recording-screen-display-time-date-stamp.html)

Chris Nicholson November 21st, 2010 02:11 PM

Recording On Screen Display - Time Date Stamp

I'm curious as to whether there's anyone on this forum who has recorded directly from the video out (either hdmi or rca) while recording to produce and instant DVD?

When I hook up the signal direct to a monitor the On Screen Display appears so that you can control the camera off an external monitor. I assume that if I were to hook this up directly to a DVD recorder the OSD would be recorded on the DVD?

Sometimes it would be great to have this info as per including the time date stamp on a DVD for a deposition, but other times as in recording an event it would be great to to turn off all of this info even though it would still be needed to aid in recording.

Does the OSD info appear on the recording? If so, can it be turned off and on?

The only way I currently know how to permanently burn the time date stamp on a clip is to use an application like DVMP Pro, which works great, but if I were to need an instant time date stamp produced at the time of recording this application obviously wouldn't work for that.

Chris Harding November 21st, 2010 05:09 PM

Hi Chris

On my own HMC's I have never been able to capture the actual OSD data!! By default, the OSD is not sent to an external monitor either unless you enable it via the remote ... it then appears on an external monitor but I'm not sure if the actual video content would be sent out to the recording device (like a laptop??) The only issue is that you have pretty much standard component video from the RCA out (mine are BNC's) I have never tried the HDMI output as my 7" monitor is SD!!

What camera are you trying this on just for interest???

Chris

Chris Nicholson November 22nd, 2010 11:20 AM

Recording OSD

I have hmc-150s. I have an external 7" monitor and I definitely can see the OSD settings if I turn the switch on in the menus, the question is whether or not this will be recorded? Unfortunately I don't have a DVD recorder to test it and for some reason my one and only VCR either has a broken input or won't accept the output signal from the hmc-150.

Mike Beckett November 22nd, 2010 12:08 PM

The HMC40/41 has this, but that probably doesn't help!

Chris Nicholson November 22nd, 2010 12:21 PM

Problem Solved

So I've figured it out.

I think the issue is that the manual really isn't clear. Once I figured out my old VCR input selector, and experimented with the menu and display settings, I now have it working.

When OSD is set to off the display info does not get output to the display and is not recorded. However, if the Time Stamp is set to "on" this is not considered part of the OSD and will be recorded.

Thus it is possible to see all of the settings on the camera display but only record the picture on a DVD recorder or VCR but include time stamp as part of the recording.

Thanks everyone for your help.