AG-HMC150's White Balance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old December 27th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

AG-HMC150's White Balance

I have an HD LCD monitor. I've watched a couple of tutorials on how to properly calibrate it. However, I've never had someone do it to MY monitor just to make sure I'm doing it right. I'm only assuming I've done it right based on the instructions I'm reading. Anyhow...my question is:

Let's say that I'm not looking for any special kind of color in my recording and if I plan to change it to something else (like a Saving Private Ryan kind of pale look), then I plan to do that in editing. In that case, is it safe to say that as long as I properly White Balance the camera, then I shouldn't worry too much about how accurate the monitor is?

I figured some of you more experienced folks could give a little guidance on that.
Russ Ivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Major Player

I assume you mean an HD LCD on your camera. Always trust your white balance. Professional DVCPro cameras don't have color monitors, and film cameras don't have monitors at all. You just have to trust the fact that you white balanced correctly (or chose the right film color temperature.) Also keep an eye on zebras for proper exposure. Now if you're using your LCD to color correct in post, it absolutely has to be calibrated. In our wonderful world of NTSC video, color can be slightly out of phase and make your video look different in editing than it does on your home theatre TV, which can be different than any other TV in your house.
Long story short, if it's an on-camera monitor, color doesn't really matter, just make sure you always white balance and use zebras for exposure. If it's an editing monitor, calibrate it.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks

Thanks Edward. Originally, I was talking about an external 7" monitor that I use for recording purposes. However, when I edit the footage, it's on my 32" HD flat panel television that I also use for watching television and DVDs. It poses as a dual role for a computer monitor and television. So, I guess I need to get that thing calibrated for editing. I never looked at it that way.
Russ Ivey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders