DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   AF100 + nanoFlash Testing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/489476-af100-nanoflash-testing.html)

Dan Keaton December 29th, 2010 01:18 PM

AF100 + nanoFlash Testing

1 Attachment(s)
Dear Friends,

We recently received our AF100.

We hope to start shooting some tests, comparing the AF100 recordings with those obtained with a nanoFlash.

While we have certain tests in mind, we welcome any suggestions you may have.

This may be camera setup and/or types of scenes to shoot or anything else you wish to suggest.

We do plan on posting our results.

Godfrey Kirby December 30th, 2010 10:54 AM

Hi Dan - I'd love to see some colour scales included with with the tests & can you do a split screen 'side by side' - i.e. with Nano & without. Nice strong, punchy colours, reds & neon blues for instance. I think we all know the AF100/1 at 5K dollars is no match for an Arri Alexa at 'a very lot of dollars' but a many people don't have Alexa money..... so they tell me.
Can you include some girls though, I find they make boring old camera tests so much more watchable.

Oppps, have I said something wrong?

Steve Nelson January 3rd, 2011 08:36 PM

Ditto on the side by side with perhaps a variety of shooting conditions indoors and outdoors if possible.

David Heath January 4th, 2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1602800)
While we have certain tests in mind, we welcome any suggestions you may have.

This may be camera setup and/or types of scenes to shoot or anything else you wish to suggest.

We do plan on posting our results.

I'd be very keen to see the results on charts, especially zone plates, as well as "real life" scenes. The fine detail in the outer rings of zone plates are especially good for testing how the codec handles static compression of fine detail. The point about charts is that the original is precisely known, and differences become more obvious.

I'd also like to see tests with a lot of movement, and as far as showing the results would suggest forming difference images between the nanoFlash and native codec results. (Subtracting the nanoFlash signal from the AVC-HD. If the nanoFlash doesn't give any benefit, you'll get plain grey. Any detail shows a difference between the images.)

Peter Moretti January 4th, 2011 06:03 PM

Colored resolution charts and zone plates would be nice, to investiage the difference in the chroma sampling. And yes, movement. Maybe some material w/ fine detail, like fabric.

Olof Ekbergh January 4th, 2011 10:37 PM

I just picked up my AF100 today and I will be setting up the NanoFlash with it in the next few days. And I will do lots of tests both of lenses and NF/native footage.

I will post photos and results of the tests here.

Ron Little January 5th, 2011 08:29 AM

What lense will you be using?

Olof Ekbergh January 5th, 2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Little (Post 1604635)
What lense will you be using?

These are the lenses I currently have with adapters, Novoflex fot the FD/FL's, currently a cheapy w/o Iris adj for the L's, Birger is on order with my dealer:

Canon FD 24 f.2.8
Canon FD 35 f.2
Canon FD 50 f.1.8
Canon FD 70-210 f.4
Canon FL 135 f2.8
I have a few other Tamron and Sigmas as well but I probably will not bother with them.
Canon EF 17-40 f4 L
Canon EF 24-70 f2.8 L
Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 L
Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6 L
Canon EF 50 f1.4

I also have the 14-45 f4-4.5 Lumix
And I have the Voightlander 25 f.95 on order, should be here in Feb.

Ron Little January 5th, 2011 12:06 PM

So, what three lenses do you think you will use the most?

And do you think that there is one lense that will get the most use?

David Heath January 5th, 2011 12:17 PM

Maybe the last three posts should be moved to another thread.......?

Ron Little January 5th, 2011 12:29 PM

It says clearly in the first post that “this can be camera setup/or types of scenes to shoot or anything else you wish to suggest. My question is valid.

Olof Ekbergh January 5th, 2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Little (Post 1604719)
So, what three lenses do you think you will use the most?

And do you think that there is one lense that will get the most use?

My guess is that once I get my Birger adapter the 24-70 f2.8 will be my most used lens. Until then the 24, 35, 50 Canon FD's.

I also think the Voigtlander 25 f.95 will get a lot of use.

As a wide lens initially I will use the 14-45 Lumix. But I will be looking for something wider and a little faster, I don't know what yet, it will probably be a prime in the 8mm to 14 mm length. I have not decided yet. I am looking at MTF choices and 4/3 as well as 35mm lenses. Any suggestions?

For longer shots the 70-210 f4 FD lens will be my initial lens. Once I get the Birger it will definitely be the 70-200 f2.8 L IS.

And for wild life or similar long shots the 100-400 f4-5.6 L IS without and with the 2x extender.

I also have the 100mm f2.8 Macro that I will use for macro shots.

This camera will be much more like a still camera than a vid camera in that I will always carry a bunch of lenses and continually be changing them.

If I have to go n a quick ENG run and guns shoot I will use my EXcams, with one lens only.

Right now the 24-70 is on the 100 with iris set to f4. I seem to end up shooting right around f4 90% of the time. I have the 5DmkII in the bag as well just to change the aperture.

I have spent most of the day filling an order for CBS NY and only had a couple hrs making a NanoFlash bracket, I have a good start, I will have photos soon.

Hopefully tomorrow I will figure out the rest of the NF setup and then I will shoot some tests.

Nigel Barker January 6th, 2011 04:44 AM

I'm still waiting for my camera to be delivered (are there any deliveries in the UK yet?) which will be coming with the 7-14mm & 14-140mm Panasonic lenses

Here's my list of lenses that I will be using. I have a simple adaptor for the FD lenses but am waiting on the Birger adaptor for the EF lenses. I also have a 5DII I so will probably get some more EF lenses as the ability to use the electronic features of these lenses is very attractive/ In the meantime the FD lenses are very nice & feel reassuringly well built as they are mostly metal & weigh a ton:-)

Canon FD 14mm F2.8L
Canon FD 24mm F1.4L
Canon FD 35mm F2
Canon FD 50mm F1.2L
Canon FD 135mm F2.8
Canon FD 200mm F2.8

Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L
Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L
Canon 50mm F1.2L

I have always had a hankering for the Canon EF 14mm F2.8L II but have never really been able to justify the cost to myself but as I will be able to use it on the Panasonic mybe that is reason enough.