DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Ag-hmc40 or ag-hmc150 or jvc gy-hm100?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/489683-ag-hmc40-ag-hmc150-jvc-gy-hm100.html)

Gregory Scarcell January 3rd, 2011 09:09 PM

Ag-hmc40 or ag-hmc150 or jvc gy-hm100??

Through extensive research I have narrowed down my search to either the HMC150 OR HMC40 OR JVC GY-HM100. All are in my price range. Which one should I buy??

I will be shooting short films, documentaries and maybe weddings and using XLR. I know that I can buy the XLR option for the HMC40, which is fine.

I use either Avid or Premiere Pro CS5.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks - Gregory

Russ Ivey January 4th, 2011 10:06 AM

My opinion

I don't know anything about the JVC model. However, if we're talking about the HMC40 versus the HMC150, my opinion is to go with the HMC150. The reason is, the sensor is 1/3" versus the 1/4" on the HMC40. You'll have a better picture quality. Also, the audio is built in on the HMC150 and I'm to understand you have to pay extra for it on the HMC40? I could be wrong there.

Gregory Scarcell January 4th, 2011 11:47 AM

Yes - Need to buy XLR option for HMC40

Russ,
You are right about having to buy the optional XLR for the HMC40 at about $270 from B&H

Russ Ivey January 4th, 2011 12:10 PM

The JVC model

Hey Gregory, I just read the specs on the JVC model and it also only has a 1/4" sensor on it. I'd really suggest that if you're planning to do short films and documentaries, that you want the 1/3" sensor or bigger. I have the AG-HMC150 and absolutely love it. I got mine used for $2,600 and it only had 4 hours on it. You won't go wrong with that camera. I worry that if you get one of the other two, you'll always have that gut feeling that you wish it was just a bit better. Of course, I guess we all feel that way don't we? There is always something out there that is out of our price range and wish we could get it.

Bob Diaz January 4th, 2011 03:48 PM

I can't speak on the JVC, but here's a brief run down on the Panasonic choices:

HMC40:
Good camera, small size, and it's sharper than the HMC150. The downsides are: (1) It's CMOS and could have rolling shutter issues. (2) Low light is NOT as good as the HMC150.

HMC80:
It's in many ways identical to the HMC40, but in a larger case. The main advantage is that the controls are moved from on screen menu to buttons. Same downsides as the HMC40.

HMC150:
Clearly a better camera for low light compared to the HMC40 and HMC80. Not as sharp as the HMC40/HMC80, but not that big a deal in 720p mode.

Bob Diaz

Adam Haro January 4th, 2011 07:58 PM

I can only speak for the HMC40, we have one we use for weddings. Great little camera. For wedding receptions we always plan on using plenty of lighting. 2 LED panels on a tripod and 1 on camera. If not your image will fall apart real quick. As long as you watch your lighting its a very capable camera and delivers nice quality.

Mark Von Lanken January 4th, 2011 09:23 PM

I did a review of the HMC40 for EventDV Magazine. In the review I compared the HMC40 to the HMC150 as well as the JVC HM100. Here's the link.
EventDV.net: The Event Videographer's Resource

Gregory Scarcell January 7th, 2011 12:30 PM

Excellent Review!

From the 100s of posts and some reviews that I have read on different sites it appears that they only disdvantage or negative feature of the HMC40 is the low-light performance. This can be dealt with by using lights and in post production editing. My mind is made up to buy the HMC40.

Xavier Pilsudski January 27th, 2011 09:20 AM

I went through the same dilemma a few weeks ago and finally went with the HMC40
I took the cam out of the box (used box, CL purchase!!) and shot in the neighborhood.
I am very very happy with the results and I don't see how someone who knows what he's doing couldn't use it at a professional level, like shooting a movie in your case.
Here's a link to the footage: 1080.24p, no effects added in post, no artificial lighting.
YouTube - 1st day with my HMC40 test shoot

Lee Small February 4th, 2011 04:18 PM

Shameless plug...

Shameless, plug, but I'm retiring from the video hobby (not enough time - I like playing music better than filming it!) and decided to sell my HMC40 + a number of Panasonic accessories for it, including the XLR adapter. It's posted in the Private Exchange section of the forum if you're interested. :-)

Xavier Pilsudski February 4th, 2011 04:33 PM

"Private Exchange section of the forum"

where is this section?