DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Can't retrieve footage for AG-HMC152, I'm getting worried (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/490694-cant-retrieve-footage-ag-hmc152-im-getting-worried.html)

Cameron Poole January 25th, 2011 07:14 PM

Can't retrieve footage for AG-HMC152, I'm getting worried

I had to do a shoot the day after purchasing my Panasonic AG-HMC152 last week, I am praying that I didn't need to format the camera or something before shooting.

I'd figured out the basics of how to use the camera, but still haven't managed to install footage into my MacBook Pro. I opened i-movie HD in the correct widescreen HD 1080i format but could not find/import the clips. Lots of files, mostly ones that 'Quicktime couldn't parse' whatever that means - and a still from my first shot which I was able to drag into i-movie but it was just a still.

I can find the thumbnails of the footage on the camera in playback mode and play them back so the data must be there. The footage is being edited by somebody overseas and he will need to know what format the files are in even if my Mac can't recognize them.

Please help if you can.

Dan Carter January 25th, 2011 10:00 PM

Cameron,

I don't believe the Mac can read the AVCHD (MTS) files from your camera natively. Try the AVCCAM Viewer software that came with your camera. You should have Mac and PC versions.

Good luck

Chris Harding January 26th, 2011 12:38 AM

Hi Cameron

The Panasonic Broadcast site also has a bunch of useful utilities you can download for the cameras. If the files are a problem they also have a recovery package too!!

Each and every card that goes into my cams are formatted in camera before a new shoot. It's a wise thing to do!!!

Chris

Cameron Poole January 29th, 2011 04:56 AM

Ah, well I just put the cards in and away I went - there was no time to figure out how to format stuff and nobody had mentioned it, including the Panasonic dealer.

'The movie could not be opened' - 'The file is not a movie file' ...Still getting this when I click on the 00005MTS files which are grey rectangles with 'exec' in the top left hand corner.

I'll try the AVCCAM viewer software that came with the camera which in my case is an installation DVD for EDIUS Neo 2 Booster and AVCHD converter which sounds exactly what I need.

I assume AVI is the format I need to convert to so the editor can work with the clips in Avid.

I realize I must sound awfully amateur, but I've always been a technophobe.

Cameron Poole January 29th, 2011 06:18 AM

Minimum System Requirements

Operating system required is Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP - doesn't mention Mac anywhere.

Phoned the shop where I got the camera and they said I need Final Cut 5.0 and above to import and convert files.

I don't have FCP I have FCE but was planning to take a course in FCP later this year, so does this mean that basically I can't edit my footage in anything else and I can't convert it without FCP???

Dan Carter January 29th, 2011 10:21 AM

Cameron,

Go here https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/p2ui/Certify.do

Register your camera, and you'll be able to download the AVCCAM viewer for Mac.

Good luck

Cameron Poole January 30th, 2011 10:38 AM

Many thanks Dan, will do!

Cameron Poole February 5th, 2011 04:58 AM

The malady lingers on...

I downloaded AVCCAM SD card file recovery and it seemed to work but I ended up with lots of jargon titled files within files within files that made no sense and could not be opened with anything.

As it happens, the footage I took was fine and was used by another editor who has FCP. It was yesterday when I got my SD cards back and tried to get the data for iMovies using this software.

Am I missing something or do I need to try something else?

I will be getting FCP at the end of the month, but still want to use iMovie for simple stuff.

Cameron Poole February 8th, 2011 05:55 PM

I have downloaded free trials of two other file conversion software and Wondershare Video Converter has cracked it.