DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   remote controller for AF100/101 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/490708-remote-controller-af100-101-a.html)

Anthony Mozora January 26th, 2011 03:28 AM

remote controller for AF100/101

Hello and thank u in advance for your reply..

I am thinking of buying the Af101 and I would like to know if there is any good remote controllers for this camera. as I can see from the specs list of the AF101 there is no lanc terminal but a minijack remote controller. I would like to use this camera on my 27foot crane and the remote is something I really need.

thanks

Mark Watson January 26th, 2011 05:30 AM

Your Welcome

According to Panasonic's brochure, the remote terminal allows for remote operation of the iris, focus, Start/Stop Record and index functions.

I've read elsewhere that Panasonic doesn't use the LANC specification, instead it is compatible with DVX, HVX, HPX and HMC cameras' remote controls.

Looks like the Rock-DVX-ZFI ($250.00) will be compatible with this camera. Here's the overview info.

The Rock-DVX-ZFI controls multi-speed zoom, focus, iris, and record/pause. It utilizes a pressure-sensitive, side-to-side rocker switch like broadcast zoom controls. This rocker has a greater range of motion for a finer degree of zoom control than throttle style zoom controls. Adjust the exposure or focus with a finger. Smooth and quiet knobs provide easy operation while you compose your shots. Independent focus/iris knobs allow two people to operate together for critical focus during moving shots or crane moves. The body switches click when moved into position, letting you watch the picture, not your hands. An operator may switch between auto and manual control for either focus or iris at anytime.

Wide-sweep variable rocker for smooth, sustainable zooms
Low profile record/pause button
Unique dual knob adjustment
Body switches for manual/auto modes

Extension cables are available on B&H Photo site.

Mark

Olof Ekbergh January 26th, 2011 06:56 AM

As far as I know there are no power zoom lenses available for the AF100 yet.

There is a separate stop/start jack. I think it is just a 2.5mm normally open circuit, should work like the record buttons on the cam. It should be easy to make yourself.

There is also a separate focus iris stop/start jack that should accept DVX style remotes, like the VariZoom VZ-PFI Focus/Iris Control for Panasonic Compact HD Cameras :: Lens Controls :: Lens Accessories :: Lenses & Lens Accessories :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech

There are remote zoom lens solutions out there but they are not inexpensive.

David W. Jones January 26th, 2011 07:13 AM

If I remember correctly, the only lens at this point that is controllable is the 14-140.

Anthony Mozora January 26th, 2011 07:38 AM

THANK u all for your quick replies!

my only concern is the REC/PAUSE when I will have this camera on the crane.. i barely use the zoom fuction of any camera on the crane when i do multishootings

Mark Watson January 26th, 2011 08:47 AM

Manfrotto 521P Remote

The cameras have a 3.5mm jack for the iris/focus functions and a 2.5mm jack for the start/stop/(zoom?) function.
The Rock-DVX-ZFI remote connects to the camera using two plugs. (see photo on B&H site) I think you can also use the Manfrotto 521P ($180) which just has the 2.5mm jack and does only zoom and start/stop.

Mark

David W. Taylor February 7th, 2011 04:04 AM

We've been discussing remote controllers for the AF-100 over on another forum and there are three that do both focus and iris, The BeBob FOXI, the Varizoom VZ-PFI and the Manfrotto 521PFI.
However I discovered that the FOXI didn't allow the Lumix 14-140 lens to focus to infinity wfen zoomed in past about 45mm. This pretty well renders it useless except for close-up focussing. Someone else has reported that the Varizoom is exactly the same. I'm still trying to find out if the Manfrotto also suffers this.
A controller like these is by far the best way of getting smooth focus and iris for one man operation when using a tripod as having a smooth thumb wheel on your pan bar is much better than the lens barrel or even a manual follow focus or a set of rails. Of course for crane operation there's no other way.

David W. Taylor February 22nd, 2011 04:06 PM

Re: remote controller for AF100/101

Update on my problems with the AF100 remote when using the 14-140 lens.
I was not managing to achieve infinity focus right through the whole range of the lens when using a BeBob FOXI remote focus/iris controller.

So I finally bought a Manfrotto 521PFI and it works a treat! A perfect remote controller with an even more comprehensive set of knobs and switches and also cheaper than the BeBob.
So if you want to control your focus and your iris manually from a unit mounted on your tripod's pan-bar...get one.
David