Run and gun with Panny AF100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:54 AM   #1
New Boot

Run and gun with Panny AF100?

Has anyone tried run and gun style work with the AF-100? or is it a clunker like any other dslr? I'm on the market for a camera and I'm looking for the best of both worlds right now. Large sensor with comfortable and fast ergonomics. It doesn't seem to exist at the moment, though. I think the Canon XF300 would be good for reality shows, and corporate stuff, but it's too bad about sensor size. It'd be hard to get a cinematic look out of it.
Mike Hanmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Trustee

I really can't see why people now want to shoot "run'n gun" with large sensor cameras, whether DSLRs or the new range of video cameras - they were never intended for that. Imagine trying to shoot a doc with an Arri 35ST (well, I suppose they did in WW2, as well as with the Bell & Howell cameras, but I guess they just had to...)
Getting a cinematic look is more than a narrow DOF; it's a combination of the lighting, framing,camera movement - and a good script.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM   #3
New Boot

Sorry, I don't see the problem with that. Most R&G is shot with a wide lens anyway and I don't see the difficulty in maintaining focus that way. I know what you mean about the trend nowadays with everyone getting crazy over shallow DOP, but it is something I have wanted long before the dslr trend happened. It's an important tool for directing the viewer's attention and maintaining narrative focus. Great for interviews.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Major Player

That was with a "clunky" 5D.

You'll be fine.
Kevin McRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
That was with a "clunky" 5D.
You'll be fine.
so you're saying 5D is clunky compare to AF100?
and since when narrative became run&gun?
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
so you're saying 5D is clunky compare to AF100?
and since when narrative became run&gun?
1- Yes.
2- That clip was virtually the definition of "run & gun"

Expanding on previous hinted notions, the proliferation of so many equipment choices is making many cameramen think less about how to use what they have and more about what they should have gotten instead.

Concentrate on the story, adapt your shooting style, tweak whatever's lacking, and you'll surely do just fine.
Kevin McRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I consider "run & gun" to be in an uncontrolled shooting environment, often live, shooting non-actors.

I do not think "run & gun" is interchangeable for handheld...

If a lot of your shots will be wide angle and there is enough light around for a less than huge aperature you would be fine though.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I have to agree with Tim about the definition of Run and Gun. When using actors in a "controlled" situation movement and handheld camera work isn't R&G.
Think news, sports and other live events
Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:00 PM   #9
New Boot

The footage is good, but I'm not just looking at the end result, I'm also looking at the means of getting there. A dslr camera would not cut it in a fast paced shooting environment every single day of the week unless you had it tricked out with all the frankenstein accessories. And even then, your process would be esoteric in a broadcast environment.
Shouldermount is the tried and true method. Your body bears the weight leaving both hands free to operate the camera. Camcorder form factor is still a compromise because your arms bear the weight while having to control the camera simultaneously. Dslr form factor is even worse for that type of work.
I think I understand the big companies approach to the marketplace now; Divide and conquer. They want the ENG guys over here and the film makers over there, and they can monetize effectively that way.
Maybe I'll just have to get an XF300 for broadcast work and a dslr when the cinematic look is called for.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:21 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hanmer View Post
Maybe I'll just have to get an XF300 for broadcast work and a dslr when the cinematic look is called for.
Mike, that's exactly what I'm doing.
Horses for courses in the end.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:29 PM   #11
Space Hipster

After playing with an AF100 today, some of it handheld, I was wondering..

If you stayed pretty wide and used the red focus assist, I suppose you can quickly focus and follow run-n-gun action. It wouldn't be my first choice of camera for doing so, but I guess it isn't impossible.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:47 PM   #12
Inner Circle

For anything like run and gun, the AF100 would not seem a good choice. You might be able to make it work after a fashion, but why handicap yourself?

Compared to something like an EX3, the first problem is lens availability. AF100 suitable lenses don't have servo zooms, and tend to be either reasonably fast primes OR much slower zooms - mostly of a more limited zoom range than most conventional video cameras. Compared to an EX3, you're either limiting the zoom options OR limiting low light working abilities.

Then there's the way the lenses are controlled. The AF100 is mainly being used with lenses primarily designed for still use. Such as the iris have to be adjusted via a servo mechanism, and whilst that may not be too bad in controlled situations (such as drama) it's just not as good as turning a manual iris ring in an uncontrolled situation.

That's before we even start to think about handholding ergonomics........
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:10 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McRoberts View Post
2- That clip was virtually the definition of "run & gun"
no my man, just because camera man is running doesn't make shot R&G :)
when you say : Camera! Action! - is no ran&gun, it is well simulated, but still, it's narrative;
talkin about AF100, it wouldn't be my first choice for run&gun work, occasionally maybe, some people do it with DSLRs, but I would choose something more ergonomically and functionally traditional.
but hey, that's me :)
Old February 3rd, 2011, 04:15 PM   #14
Major Player

I had my first day on a new TV series we are shooting yesterday. Producers wants the 101, so I tried it out.
It was a mix of tripod and "walk and gun". I was worried how it would work out.
It involved following 2 people around in semi controlled enviorment, meaning available light, but I could ask them for a second take in some situations (not all)

Other than itīs akward to hand held (just like the HVX before it), it worked surprisingly well. I used the 14-35mm f2 Olympus mainly and looking at the footage today, I managed to be in focus most of the time. I missed a few moments in the evening, but quickly found it again.

Itīs easier to do this with a shoulder camera, but it wasnīt too bad with the 101 either.

We wanted a different look to this docu series, and not really having a zoom will help with that. the pace will be slower for sure.

Being used to work handheld and manual focusing with a full size ENG camera is definitly an advantage when doing R&G with the 101.

The RED focus assist is invaluable,without it you wouldnīt have been able to pull it off
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge View Post
Other than itīs akward to hand held (just like the HVX before it)
That's a bit of an understatement. My AF101 just arrived & I am amazed at how uncomfortable it feels when held in my hands. None of the buttons fall neatly under my fingers & the Start/Stop button is particularly awkward to operate. I don't think that it's just my large hands as the Canon XF305 feels really comfortable to operate.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders