DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   General Panasonic AVCCAM Cam Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/491248-general-panasonic-avccam-cam-question.html)

Jeff Krepner February 4th, 2011 01:09 PM

General Panasonic AVCCAM Cam Question

Hello everyone, a client of mine is looking for a small camcorder for shooting fitness models posing (I know, tough gig). Anyway about 50% of their stuff is low light hotel lobby and conference room settings and we normally slow everything down in post to about 60%-80% speed. I just edit for them, but I'm pulling for them to get a 60P camera for nice slow-motion (I'll use Cinema Tools to conform it to 30P) and I'd like them to get something pretty decent in low light. One of their shooters uses a 5D, which of course is wonderful in the dark, but for this they need a point-and-shoot model that doesn't draw much attention to itself.

I see a whole crop of new camcorders coming out in April that shoot 60P but it seems like only the HDC-TM700 and 750 do that as of now. Based on my description, do you feel like the Panny's would be a good fit? If not do you have something else in mind? I'd guess the budget would be up to $1000 - $1500 for this one. I think they are planning a bigger purchase later this year but have a big show this month so waiting till March/April is out (which is a shame). This will be replacing a Canon HV20, which looks nice in well lit situations but isn't very good semi-dark locales.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Denny Lajeunesse February 5th, 2011 07:39 PM

$1000 - $1500 for the camera? Not a huge amount of options for a new cam that does 60p. Maybe the hmc40. Though at 720 60p.

Craig Snedeker February 6th, 2011 08:27 PM

HMC40 should be affordable. I got mine for $1,700, but on eBay they are cheaper. It's a good camera too.

Robert Turchick February 6th, 2011 09:26 PM

Hmc40 is a good camera....Not all that good in low light though...
I'd go for a dslr with a 50mm 1.4 and shoot at 720 60p.
I do it with my 7d and it works great for slomo. The T2i would be in your budget with that lens and would look great. (had one before the 7d)

Denny Lajeunesse February 7th, 2011 03:39 AM

For what you are using it for, a Canon T2i might be a good option. Just keep in mind it;s form factor and lack of pro video controls and 12 min shot limit.

Jeff Krepner February 10th, 2011 11:49 AM

Thanks guys, I own a T2i and can vouch for how great it works in low light especially with the fast Zeiss lenses I use. But for my client it needs to be simple simple simple. They have a shooter who uses a 5D and they have no desire to go the HD DSLR route (unfortunately) at this time. I think the TM700 will work for now and with any luck I can get them to go to a better camera later this year.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Denny Lajeunesse February 10th, 2011 01:00 PM

Of course, keep in mind, that a DSLR may be what you need today, but what about tomorrow? What will you be shooting AFTER this project?

The lack of pro controls on DSLR's is more than annoying.Also, they don't use the entire chip when shooting video.

That said, for your price point, a DSLR might be your only option.