DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   best priceperformance steadicam for af101 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/491294-best-priceperformance-steadicam-af101.html)

Drazen Stader February 5th, 2011 06:10 PM

best priceperformance steadicam for af101

Hi,

what do you think about using glidecam hdpro 4000 and arm brace for use with with af-100 and the Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/0.95 MFT prime lens for example....would this be a good steadicam option....I have never used steadicam before but I intend to invest into one...any feedback is welcome...if you have any other good steadicam suggestion for use with the af-100 they are also welcome...thanks for the input

David W. Jones February 6th, 2011 08:33 AM

I would think you would tire very quickly using that combo.

Simon Wyndham February 6th, 2011 09:12 AM

Probably best in the Stabiliser forum. I think you would be looking at a Steadicam Pilot at least. The best thing to do with anything Steadicam related is to take a workshop. Even a one or two dayer will give you a much better idea of what is involved and what type of rig will suit what you want to do with it. Trust me, it's the best thing you can possibly do if you want to buy a stabilisation system.

The Tiffen workshops use Steadicam branded equipment, but they run them from a neutral perspective and do not try to sell you anything.

Simon Zimmer February 7th, 2011 12:28 PM

I have the Indicam with the sled and vest and love it.

It is quite affordable and works though I must admit I need to practice more.

As for just going with an arm brace, I highly recommend in investing in a vest. It MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE in performance and physical comfort.

Good luck!

Simon

Kevin Sawicki December 1st, 2011 09:53 AM

Re: best priceperformance steadicam for af101

1 Attachment(s)
I would NOT suggest attempting to fly the AF100 on anything besides a true tiffen steadicam.

Also, if you're planning on using a Voigtländer, you're going to need to use some sort of wireless follow focus because there's no way you're going to be able to keep focus and maintain a smooth shot using a tradition follow focus.

I've attached a picture of my rig. It's an AF100, Voigtländer 25mm .95, and Varizoom WFF kit, mounted to a pair of generic rods, all sitting on an old Steadicam Flyer.

You get what you paid for, and that's especially true when dealing with steadicam-look-a-likes. Definitely look around for a tiffen workshop. They're a ton of fun and you get to fly your camera for free! Plus they show you how to properly put on the vest/arm/camera.

Chris Harding December 1st, 2011 09:59 PM

Hi Drazen

Don't under any circumstances be tempted into a handheld/arm brace setup!! You do need a vest and arm..end of story!! I personally use an Flycam rig from India (highly modded of course) as the local cost here of over $12K for a pilot doesn't justify 30 minutes of use at a wedding. If you can afford a Tiffen absolutely yes, get one!! If it's out of your budget then at least get an arm/vest rig!! Just make sure that your overall rig weight is right for whatever you buy!! It will be hopeless trying to put a 3lb camera on a sled designed for a 40lb ENG betacam and expect it to work well!!!

Also bear in mind that spending $12K on a rig or $2K doesn't make you a good operator..you still need a huge amount of flying time to become good!!!

Chris

Charles Papert December 2nd, 2011 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1700889)
It will be hopeless trying to put a 3lb camera on a sled designed for a 40lb ENG betacam and expect it to work well!!!

One can always add weight. Nearly all "big rig" operators these days have steel weight plates for this purpose, as they have been requested to fly 5D's or the like at one point or another. And not to split hairs, but broadcast aka "ENG betacam" cameras are generally in the 20-25 lb range. 40lb cameras for Steadicam are generally budget equipped film or HD cameras (standard ones are in the 32-35 lb range) and there's always some custom setup or ugly medium like IMAX or 3D that can surpass that range.

Nice pic Kevin--can't mistake the Art Museum steps (probably the most famous Steadicam location of all time, made famous by the Rocky movies). Did you take a run up with the rig? I never did it myself but I hear the depth of the steps make it a little challenging...

Buba Kastorski December 8th, 2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Zimmer (Post 1615535)
As for just going with an arm brace, I highly recommend in investing in a vest. It MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE in performance and physical comfort.

words of wisdom;
but of course it all depends on your budget and how serious you want to get with steadicam,
I would recommend you an arm and vest setup, because it is only at first AF100 and relatively small lens, but some time later you will want to add light, WA lens, wireless transmitter etc. and your setup wil grow over 10Lb easy; even if you are a very strong man it'll be challenging to fly hand held 10-12Lb setup for a longer shots. Which one to get, again, depends on your budget, I'd say 90% of a shot is a steadicam operator and the rest the unit itself, but as a rule more expensive equipment means better quality and easier adjustments/operation.