Any "in the trenches" HMC-80 reports?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old February 9th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any "in the trenches" HMC-80 reports??

I know many people here we're excited about the 80 and it seems like the camera didn't disappoint. I'm planning on buying one and wanted to get some stories from the trenches of likes/dislikes especially when putting it on your shoulder.
Kevin Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Kevin

Mine was released from Customs today so it arrives tomorrow!!!
I will be comparing it against the two HMC 70's that I'm currently using so watch for some feedback soon!!!

It's my first venture away from CCD's too so the performance of the 3MOS sensors will also feature...after shooting 2 wedding seasons with the 70's (actually mine are 72's the PAL models) I have been more than delighted with the results (as were the brides!!) so I'm sure the 80 will not disappoint!!

I had no hesitation in ordering one and there will be another following soon!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Kevin

Take a look at my reply in the HMC70 vs HMC80 post.

Chris
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Re: Any "in the trenches" HMC-80 reports??

I thought I might as well use this post for an update on the HMC80.

The 3MOS sensors really suck in very low light compared to the 1/4" CCD's ...when given reasonable light the image is stunning but they fall off very badly in very low light...way worse than the CCD's of the same size. If you are doing weddings then make sure you have decent lighting on the camera!!!! You will then get a better image than CCD's can deliver (incredibly sharp!! )even in a normal reception with what they call "seminar lighting" ...once they go to "mood lighting" the chips cannot handle it at all.

I have bought a bigger on-cam light with barn doors to solve the problem and it seems to be fine.

Audio levels on the XLR channels are a LOT less sensitive than the HMC70!!! Even with a Rode Mic pushing -38db, if you have ALC on the mic is severely attenuated....I now use it in manual for safety.

Still love the new cameras and the much sharper image!!! I do really miss the fact that the cam cannot go "beep" when you hit record!! I have already messed up once at a wedding cos I'm used to the beep.

Chris
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #5
Major Player

hey what light are you using now? the comer 1800?
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

With the HMC70 I was using a cheap 126 LED eBay light and it was plenty to light up the subject (like the first dance couple) It was a 6w unit as far as I know.

I'm using a 160 LED with the HMC80 ..it also has barn doors so you can concentrate the light a bit better.

The 80 seems to have a dramatic drop-off in sensitivity so you need to use a light!! I use just a softbox with 4 x50w CFL's in it about 20' from the speaker and the 80 has no issues with that. However during wedding speeches I use the 2nd cam for cutaways of the guests and unless you use the light the video noise is quite bad.

The 160 LED light is under $100 here and the Comer 1800 is way more!!!

Chris
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:58 AM   #7
Major Player

ah the 126 is what im using ,its a great light for the price
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:34 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

I actually found the 160 LED light and it's better value for money...about $20 extra and your range is a lot better. My 126 specs are 650 lux at 1metre and 50lux at 4 metres... the 160 specs show 1140 lux at 1 metre and 110lux at 4 metres. The 160 model also has a "+" and "-" button for output in 16 steps rather than the rotary dimmer and barndoors so you don't waste any side light spill.

Do you have an 80???? I would also like to hear opinions on the low light side from others and what on camera mic you are using....my output from the built-in mic is extremely low indeed if you use auto level!!

Chris
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Tom

I actually found the 160 LED light and it's better value for money...about $20 extra and your range is a lot better. My 126 specs are 650 lux at 1metre and 50lux at 4 metres... the 160 specs show 1140 lux at 1 metre and 110lux at 4 metres. The 160 model also has a "+" and "-" button for output in 16 steps rather than the rotary dimmer and barndoors so you don't waste any side light spill.

Do you have an 80???? I would also like to hear opinions on the low light side from others and what on camera mic you are using....my output from the built-in mic is extremely low indeed if you use auto level!!

Chris
thats very interesting about the 160 ,i might have get one too

sorry Chris i have an hmc 40
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders