Matching 5D/7D & AF100 footage in field at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old February 11th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #1
New Boot

Matching 5D/7D & AF100 footage in field

Hello- Working on a big documentary project where I'm planning on pretty promiscuously mixing 1080 29.97 Pana AF100 shot footage - my interview set up A Camera - with 1080 29.97p neutral pic setting 5D/7D shot footage - my interview set up B Camera. Shoot environment/parameters will be same for both: on sticks, on set, controlled lighting, interview.

All my previously shot location/b-roll footage is 5D/7D shot and that stuff will def be mixed with the AF100/HDSLR interview material but I'm less worried about matching that - I'm kind of looking for reasonable difference bet/ those 2 sets. It's really the 2 types of interview footage I'm looking to cut next to each other as cleanly/seamlessly as possible. Am I asking for trouble?

If not, hoping folks have suggestions for best practices in field so I'm not pulling my hair out in post. Guessing using similiar Canon lenses would help? And equivalent neutral pic settings? What do yo think is the most important determining factor in all this?

Other potential issue could be codec. All 5D/7D footage up to this point has been transcoded to Apple Pro Res 422 LT in FCP; presumably I'd log and transfer the interview 5D footage to 422 LT as well. And for now, I'm planning on using a nanoFlash or more ideally Ki Mini Pro with the AF100 - so I can record directly to as FCP friendly format as possible. Will codec have an influence on my ability to match footage?

Nick.
Nick Ravich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Trustee

If you are not going to try and adjust the cameras ahead of time doing an A/B setup, then at least shoot a chart at the head of each different shot when you do shoot so you will have a common starting point for your post work.

All the Best!

Dave
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #3
New Boot

David- Definitely hope to adjust cameras before set up - and that's what I'm looking for. Any specific adjustments I want to make bec/ I'm using these 2 particular cameras? And yes, color chart makes a lot of sense. Nick.
Nick Ravich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #4
Trustee

In advance shoot a chart and look at your waveform monitor and vector scope to match the cameras as closely as possible.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders