HMC80 First wedding shoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old February 20th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Inner Circle

HMC80 First wedding shoot

Hi All

I had a situation on the weekend where I was "in between cameras" as my 2nd HMC82 had not arrived so I used my HMC72 as the static cam and shot cutaways with the 82. Most of the reception was the 82 and I have to admit that the image sharpness is pretty awesome and it's a nice solid camera to use (and looks more impressive too!!!

Of course I DID foul up the 82 shots outside as I wasn't too familiar with the new controls. I decided to shoot with the 72 in full auto and then use the 82 in HG mode so the bitrates were both 13mbps. The 82 even with zebras set at 100% were flooding the screen in the very bright outdoor scenes..(we had tons of light concrete paving) DOH!!! I only noticed after the wedding that I had left the cam on manual which fixes the shutter at default 1/50th unless you change it!!! Luckily the iris by default stays in auto so most images were not totally blown out...!! Even in HG mode the image is incredibly sharp... during the register signing I zoomed into the document and you can read every word on the paper!!!

Inside the reception marquee the HMC82 seems to be a lot more responsive (yep!! it was still at 1/50th!!!)
and the image compared to the 72 was a lot brighter!!!
Just to let those know who are contemplating an HMC80 the CMOS chip don't seem to have any of the old CMOS issues at all!!! Spin around with the cam and there is not any trace of vertical breakup ...the cake cutting was amidst a crowd of enthusiastic amateur guest photogs and even the multiple flashes don't seem to affect the 3MOS chips at all!!! Great news and well done Panasonic!!!

Lastly although the guidelines are gone , they ARE available in photo mode!! Admittedly you have to setup the tripod, switch to photo mode and use the grid to level and then switch the cam back to "camera".
Yeah, there is no way you can make the camera beep on start and stop like the HMC70 so I have gotten used to watching the tally light at the back now as a double check that I DID actually start recording!!!

My second one is on it's way and the HMC72 is on eBay to offset some costs!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders