DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   AG-HMC 150 Side mounted viewfinder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/492075-ag-hmc-150-side-mounted-viewfinder.html)

Randy Johnson February 21st, 2011 02:51 PM

AG-HMC 150 Side mounted viewfinder

Does anyone know if there is a hood/viewfinder glass that will go on the HMC 150s full size viewfinder giving it a viewfinder like the HMC 80?

Chris Harding February 21st, 2011 05:12 PM

Re: AG-HMC 150 Side mounted viewfinder

Hi Randy

Hoodman make a variety of loupes which fasten onto an LCD screen which would effectively give you the same setup as the HMC80.

BTW: Just ordered my second HMC82 last week ..they are absolutely brilliant!!!! The extra cost of getting the 150 plus a shoulder rig (plus a loupe now) just wasn't worth the expense!!!! Performance is magic!!!!

Chris

Randy Johnson February 21st, 2011 06:07 PM

Chris,
I agree I am kinda on the fence I have 2 HMC-150s neither of them have many hours. I was thinking of selling one and getting a HMC-80 or getting a side mounted viewfinder and a better shoulder mount. I am afraid of 2 things 1. That the 80 wont be as good as my 150 or I will pour a bunch of money into a loup and a new shoulder brace and it still wont be as good as a shoulder mount camera. I think I will try and make a trip to B&H this month and check out a 80 for myself.

Chris Harding February 21st, 2011 09:14 PM

Hey Randy

If you can get one in your hot hands then you will buy it!! Great balance and way better performance than I expected too. Don't go by what you see in the EVF either in B&H...the actual video in low light is way sharper than what you see on the EVF/LCD screen!!!! See if B&H will let you shoot some footage in the store on your own SDHC card and then take a look at it at home!!

I have heard a lot of people say that despite the smaller chips the 80 image has a lot better resolution than the 150 (essentially a sharper image)

Doing a comparison in store would be good too...take 2 cards and shoot with their stock 150 in the same area and judge for yourself. What REALLY impresses me is the fact that you can do almost everything with the camera body controls... it looks a bit like a instrument flight panel compared to the HMC70 but each and every control is intelligently placed.

Look forward to your comments...my second camera arrives here on Thursday

Chris

Mike Beckett February 22nd, 2011 05:34 AM

On the other hand, the Hood-Loupe assembly is pretty good, and is a lot cheaper than upgrading the camera. Isn't the HMC150 better in low light (etc.) than the 80? I used the Hood-Loupe on my Sony and thought it was great.

I know the 80 is essentially the same internal bits and pieces as my HMC40 - and I think it comes second place to the 150 in terms of all-round performance, although the 40 is supposed to be sharper in good light.

Chris Harding February 22nd, 2011 07:44 AM

Hey Mike

Over here a 150 is a good $1000 more and then you also need a $600 MultiDV rig to "convert" it to a shoulder mount as Randy wants to...plus of course the hoodman too!!

I guess it also depends on whether you have dark and dingy places to shoot in where lighting is not an option??? At weddings my LED light goes onto the camera when the reception begins and during speeches I use a softbox so I don't really have any low light conditions to deal with. The resulting image from the 82 compared with the 72 is a lot sharper and I have seen posts here complaining about the 150 sharpness...however if you are going to film bats in a cave then the 150 will do a better job.

I actually think that Randy misses his shoulder mount cameras ...!!!

Chris