HMC40/80 Modes and Sharpness??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old February 24th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #1
Inner Circle

HMC40/80 Modes and Sharpness???

Hi All

Having upgraded from the HMC70 which shoots 13mbps as the highest mode, I did a wedding with the HMC80 in HG mode so the footage would sorta match the HMC70 as the 2nd camera.

What I wanted to ask is that even in HG mode (13mbps) the video from the 80 is pristine!!! For you guys with the 40 (or 80) is the 24mbps highest mode on the camera really worth it??? Is there a huge difference in maybe sharpness or something else.... in PH mode on the 80 it eats SDHC space up twice as fast (almost) so I'm really interested to know if the footage is visually a lot better than at 13mbps??????

Comments be be much appreciated as my 2nd 80 arrived yesterday and so I'm doing this weekend's wedding with the two new cameras. If PH mode is the way to go and makes a big difference then I also will need some bigger cards!!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: HMC40/80 Modes and Sharpness???

Hey Chris ,i always shoot ph 24mb/s ,why not?

it does take up more space ,but why limit yourself when you have the ability to shoot higher bit rates
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Tom

I agree shoot at the best rate possible but what are the advantages exactly....more pristine footage ????
I don't seem to find anyone who can say "When you shoot at 6mbps ..... the footage will ...... BUT shoot at 24mbps and you will find that .........."

Any technical reason why we need to shoot at the highest bitrate we can ?????

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi

Higher bit-rate is better, leading to less compression artefacts in complicated scenes. Lower bit-rates can look just as good until they are faced with a challenge, so you are better off always using the highest rate.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 05:44 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Thanks Tom

Any technical reason why we need to shoot at the highest bitrate we can ?????

Chris
I always think in terms of how much processing will be involved in post . . . when you're doing things like color correction, effects, rendering, converting, etc., you will always get a better result when you're starting with the best quality and most amount of data possible. This includes routine things like converting for DVD/Blu-ray or web delivery.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks to you both

PH mode it definately is then. I will grab a few extra 16GB cards this week as well to allow for the extra space needed.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders