DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   AF101 in Singapore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/492633-af101-singapore.html)

Mark McCarthy March 4th, 2011 04:02 AM

AF101 in Singapore

Hello all

I picked up an AF101 two days before a shoot in Singapore so I could have a play. Please see this vimeo clip to view:

It was my first time using the camera. I used a set of old Nikon prime AIS lenses with it through an adaptor. I found the viewfinder really disappointing, and it's not easy to get really sharp focus, meaing although you'd like to shoot nice and open at F2 etc, you have to go down to F8 etc to make sure you are in focus. Also it's not easy getting exposure spot on, and unless it is, the image looks really flat. Also shooting with the sun behind you, you get a lovely shot, but I don't think much of the image shooting into it using it as a backlight. I use a Sony PDW-700 so am used to a great picture and use it as a benchmark.

However, some of the images I achieved are lovely, nice and contrasty and am very pleased with them - and enjoy their look. I also really like the size and feel of the camera.

I am still in two minds however about holding onto the camera - perhaps getting an F3 - or just keeping the money in my pocket - I could probably sell it here in the UK without making much of a loss.

What do you think? Thoughts very welcome!

Sparky

David Heath March 4th, 2011 04:23 AM

Re: AF101 in Singapore

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark McCarthy
I am still in two minds however about holding onto the camera - perhaps getting an F3 - or just keeping the money in my pocket ...............

What do you think? Thoughts very welcome!

The F3 is a lot more expensive, but have you thought about the new large format NXCAM? There have been more details about it recently - Sony?s Big (NAB Show) Reveal ? Part I - and maybe the two most relevant is that it will have the F3 sensor, and will be somewhere around the same price as the AF101.

Mark McCarthy March 4th, 2011 04:30 AM

Thanks David, just read your link, very intersting. Sometimes I wonder why I look at other cameras at all, having a lovely PDW-700 in the bag with colour viewfinder, but I do like the look of these cameras using prime lenses. Did you get the chance to see my first trial with the AF101 in SIngapore? Amazing light over there.

I think people can get far too carried away with bit rates etc, when at the end of the day it comes down to good shooting. Most things well shot on any camera, will look great.

Sparky.

David Heath March 4th, 2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark McCarthy (Post 1624379)
I think people can get far too carried away with bit rates etc, when at the end of the day it comes down to good shooting.

In principle I agree. I'd far prefer to watch the work of a good cameraman with a poorer camera, than a bad cameraman with better camera.

But it is hardly ever an either/or situation, and the obvious point is that the good cameraman with the better camera is the best of all.

As far as the point you originally raised, then most people can't forget cost. The F3 is undoubtably a better camera than the AF101 - but it's a lot more expensive. Is it worth it?

What's new is that if the camera in the above link offers fundamentally the picture quality of the F3 (quite likely, with the same chip), but at comparable cost to the AF101, it becomes possible to have cake and eat it.