DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Is the HMC150 still a viable option at $3000? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/495170-hmc150-still-viable-option-3000-a.html)

Chris Sgaraglino April 27th, 2011 08:52 PM

Is the HMC150 still a viable option at $3000?

I'm considering moving up from a Sony A1U and a Nikon DSLR to the HMC150

It is a little old - but I cannot seem to find anythig else with comparable feature at $3k?

Thoughts?

Chris Harding April 27th, 2011 11:32 PM

Re: Is the HMC150 still a viable option at $3000?

Hi Chris

I have always loved Panasonic's colour and camera control..I know Sony is good but the cameras leave me cold!! Maybe rent one and try it for yourself??? I run HMC82's cos I'm in PAL country and also I love a shoulder mount camera!!! Wouldn't exchange mine for anything they produce stunning footage !! If I got 150's it would mean I needed to also get shoulder mount rigs too which would have stretched the budget.

The 150 is still an awesome camera otherwise it wouldn't still be in production!!

Chris

Allan Barnwell April 28th, 2011 09:21 AM

Chris,

You also can get an even better deal on an HMC150 buying b-stock. We are one of Panasonic's biggest dealers for b-stock.

B-stock is sometimes refurbished, but often it is simply gear that Panasonic sends to a trade show and then can't sell as new. It's a great way to get an even better deal on a camera that already is a good value.

Allan Barnwell
Omega Broadcast Group - Professional Video Sales, Rental & Services

Mark Von Lanken May 4th, 2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Sgaraglino (Post 1643697)
I'm considering moving up from a Sony A1U and a Nikon DSLR to the HMC150

It is a little old - but I cannot seem to find anythig else with comparable feature at $3k?

Thoughts?

I really like shooting with DSLRs, but they do have their limitations. For that reason I still shoot with the Panny HMC150 for certain scenarios. As of today, IMHO, the HMC150 offers the best bang for the buck of any HD video camera. I am anxious to see the new 130 and 160 that were announced at NAB, but if you had to buy a video camera today with a budget of $3k, my choice would be the HMC150 and since Omega Broadcast has B stock for only $2495, that's like a no brainer over buying a used one for the same price.

Now if you can wait several months you have a couple of options. You may want the 130 with it's reported improved low light capabilities, 1920 resolution chips, better LCD screen and dual card slots, or if those improvements are not of importance, you can probably get a deal on an old stock HMC150 when the new 130 hits the streets.

Tom Hardwick May 5th, 2011 01:31 AM

As you say Chris, 'it's a little old', but then so too is the Sennheiser K6/ME66, and look how well that sells year after year. The HMC150 (151 in PAL land) just got things right up front. They moved to SD card when Sony were still bringing out new MiniDV cams and Canon were doing neither.

So I'd safely say you'd get a great deal on the 150 right now. Go out there and drive a hard bargain, knowing that it's soon to be replaced (if it hasn't been already) but that fact alone doesn't diminish the camera's fine record of achievement to date.

And remember, it's not what you cradle between your palms that makes good films, it's what's cradled between your ears that matters.

tom.

Steve Wolla May 6th, 2011 01:32 AM

+1 there, Tom amd Mark. I have 2 of them and they are very satisfying to use. Best bet in that price range, to be sure.

Steve Mellor May 8th, 2011 04:52 PM

It's the camera I choose because when we got one everyone was saying how good it was. I really like ours and we're getting great footage from it. The AVCHD work-flow on Premier is wonderful with the comp set-up I've got.

Would I change if I could afford it? I'm not sure. I don't think I could get anything better unless I moved up several price brackets. I would definitely recommend it though.