Using Focus Assist graph on HMC-150 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using Focus Assist graph on HMC-150

I'm wondering how many of you use the focus assist graph on the HMC-150 to determine focus. The instruction manual shows what the graph looks like when it is in focus and out of focus. But I found that the graph doesn't change when I'm zoomed in on certain textures, eg. flat surfaces or in low light.

I feel that the auto-focus is pretty accurate most of the time, but when it is inaccurate, I won't always notice right away. It makes me wonder if I should have the graph displayed all the time. Yet, it is difficult to tell just from looking at the graph if it is in focus or not. I have to turn the focus ring back and forth to know where the threshold of horizontal white area. Hope that makes sense. Basically I feel the focus assist (Expanded and Graph) is only good for checking manual focus, during setup shots; not run and gun situations. I'd like to be able to monitor the auto focus during event videography, without going manual if possible.

Thanks!
Gregory Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Using Focus Assist graph on HMC-150

I've never used the AF myself; I do leave the graph turned to "on" (when focus assist is on); but I've found the fastest, most dependable way to get manual focus is to hit the 1:1 button on my external monitor, and maybe zoom in a bit; I also use the manfrotto focus remote for planned moves. I'll mark the disc and have a grip or assistant handle focus for crane shots, dollies, etc. I've played with the AF but haven't found a use for it, seems to hunt too much to be safe.
Michael Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Do you use the extra monitor in event videography?

I like my 30 yr old Canon SLR camera. There is a circular focus tool in the middle, which displays a misligned picture if out of focus. Turning the focus ring could move the misalignment into focus. I liked this very much, because I didn't need to press any buttons, it was totally optical and I could tell at a glance, without hunting the focus.

With the HMC-150, I have to press the focus assist button, then turn the focus ring to see if the graph is at its maximum horizontal width. It means that in-focus shots are potentially ruined because I have to hunt anyway.
Gregory Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes, HMC 150 is a crappy system with a crappy viewfinder.
Too many "good" shots need sharpening to get away with soft focus for event work.
Needs decent peaking too, so can't wait until the (hopefully) improved AG130 -160 series come out.

Cheers,

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders