TM-700/Card Puzzlement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old July 11th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Major Player

TM-700/Card Puzzlement

My Panasonic TM-700 is a wonderful camera, but I can't quite understand the messages I'm getting from not one but several Sandisk cards used with it. Many earlier files have a "need repair" message. Once apparently repaired though, it then says "can't delete" said files when I want to delete--plus, I don't even see the affected files; they're just exclamation point symbols. I have used the hard drive inside the HM-700 without incident. Recent use of one card has worked out fine. Awhile back though I transferred earlier files from these "troubled" Sandisk cards into a Nexto--would that leave behind ghost files? I thought I was just making copies.

Thanks for any insight.

Barry
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: TM-700/Card Puzzlement

OK I'll take a stab at this. This is what I do and so far I've not had a card problem with the numerous SDHC, SXS and CF cards I use in various cameras.

1. Only buy cards from reputable dealers (there are too many fakes around, including "genuine" factory rejects that end up on the black market).
2. Buy cards made by companies with a good reputation (and Sandisk is one of those).
3. I tend to buy Class 6 and upwards. I think the TM700, 900 etc. will work with Class 4 but faster cards will be more future proof and allow quicker off-loading to a PC/Mac anyway.
4. When you get a new card, format it in the camera, then completely fill it with non-critical recorded footage and check it all plays back OK before use on anything important.
5. Only delete files/format cards IN THE CAMERA, not on your PC/Mac whilst in your card reader or whatever such as with the camera attached to the PC/Mac via USB as this can confuse cameras and the file structures they need to read the cards contents/cause error messages.
6. Follow good practices about safely ejecting cards when removing them from any device to ensure the card is not being read/written to avoid corrupting files.
7. Very regularly reformat the card (in camera of course), not just deleting various movie clips (as the latter eventually clogs up the card with fragmented files which affect performance, I believe).
8. Remember that good quality cards have a guarantee - so if you get a problem at step 4 or all else fails then simply contact the manufacturer for a replacement.

I've never had a card problem in the 3 years I've been using a solid state workflow for HD video - maybe I've been lucky but I'm sure following the above has helped.

My guess (and I stress guess) is that this might be something related with when you put the card into a Nexto as you suspect - but I don't have one of those so perhaps someone who has could comment.

First thing I'd try is to reformat the troublesome cards in the TM700 and see how you then get on.
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks very much for your detailed response. This fortunately isn't a crisis since anything that might be "repaired" or missing has been backed up, but I still need to understand the process better. I've been guilty though of deleting on a PC, so this could be part of the problem.

Again, there's much to learn from your suggestions, and I appreciate it.
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes. Deleting files from the PC is very likely the problem. I have a Nexto and I doubt very much that it's use is related to what you are seeing. Formatting as was described in the camera should clear the bogus file problem. If it doesn't, there is likely a deeper problem such as a card incompatibility or defect
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks; I'll have to change an old habit!
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders