AF100 and third party primes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old July 27th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #1
Major Player

AF100 and third party primes

Okay....
I've posted a similair question a while back, but it was more technical in nature..
This time, i'm asking for real world users...

So, a while back, my friend bought a Brevis 35, and i bought a bunch of Nikon primes. It works like cookies and cream.
Unfortunately, it's a bit of a nuisance for run'n'gun situtations.

But rather than jumping to DSLR's, i've always had it in the back of my head to use my primes with an AF100..
Yes, i realize it's not a DSLR, but without having to invest thousands more in lenses and other circus apparatus, is this a viable option?

Is anybody out there using a combo of AF100, and third party primes?
If so, are there any pitfalls or suggestions??

Thanks..
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: AF100 and third party primes

Peter what did you end up doing? I have a AF100 and prefer 3rd party primes (non-canon) or m43 mounts. Both work very well.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

If you want run-n-gun shoot capabilities with prime lenses - even with autofocus options - you're in luck: Panasonic/Leica and Olympus have recently release Micro 4/3rds primes with really bright max apertures, here's a few:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/651734-REG/Panasonic_H_ES045_Leica_DG_Macro_Elmarit_45mm.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/805165-REG/Olympus_V311030SU000_M_Zuiko_Digital_ED.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/805167-REG/Olympus_V311020SU000_M_Zuiko_Digital_ED.html

And yes, the Olympus MFT lenses are AF100 compatible since they use the same mount and pins for data communication (micro 4/3rds standards).

If you really want ultra-bright but manual controls only take a look at this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/754598-REG/Voigtlander_BA305A_Nokton_25mm_f_0_95_Lens.html

I haven't shot with one of those yet, but Philip Bloom loves it.
Old September 12th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Sorry this got buried.

AF100 and Nikon primes are an instant classic.

Basically, if you've got most any sort of SLR or cinema glass, it'll work with the AF100. There are good adapters for anything from Nikon, Canon FD, OM, M42, Leica, PL, Arri, B4, and (the late-comer to the game) Canon EF (with iris control).

While I like some of the Lumix lenses, for the money I can get a whole lot more vintage prime glass (unless I go Leica, of course).
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes, i've thrown my hat into the DVX users postings.

The AF100 section is a lot more active over there..
I'm in the process of purchasing a Steadicam Pilot, so the AF100 will wait for next season unfortunately.

But nonetheless, i'm keeping my eye open on all the AF100's postings..I'm pretty well buying it once the weddings have filled the price tag..

I'm definitely keeping my Nikon primes, and will perhaps buy a few more in the future.
But the Novoflex adapter is a definite necessity..Especially for somebody like me, who rides the aperture ring constantly...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Go Go Godzilla

I agree, just about any SLR-type lenses are a good fit for the AF100. I've been using Nikon lenses, both AF and MF-AIS type for years on the HPX500 with the Pro-35 adapter and the Letus Ultimate for the HVX200.

However, the real - and not often understood - benefit of using either the Panny or Oly-branded MFT lenses is that they *autofocus* also! (There are some restrictions; there are several compatibility lists on the net).

So yes, you can get tons 'o affordable Nikkor glass if you choose, but if you're shooting run-n-gun or any ENG-type work then having AF available on the lens is a huge benefit. Not to mention OIS to boot!

You can't get AF support on lens adapters, only aperture/IRIS control. (This applies only to the Nikon AF-G and EOS line) And there's NO OIS support period for any lens outside Panny/Oly branded MFT lenses.

DVinfo is about to get pumped up with AF100-related info over the coming months as I've decided to do for the AF100 what I did for the HVX200 years ago - post tons 'o stuff.
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

In that case, I have now restored our AF100 forum back to public view. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Bully!

Just bought one myself, and instantly wondered why I waited so long. It's just about the perfect camera for how I've been working.

I shall therefore join you in posting ultramuch
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #9
Major Player

Re: AF100 and third party primes - how?

I've been posting my praises for the AF100 in another forum. ( http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-...-new-post.html ) There is a basic question I've been advised to ask here. I just got the AF100 last week and spent the weekend getting to know it, getting to know all about it. The one item I haven't been able to find in the menus is how to setup the camera for third party primes. I have the proper adapter but the camera sees only black. I'm trying to use Nikon AF and old AC lenses.

I was told --"You'll need to go into the AF100 menu and set the "Lens check" option to off. Then you can shoot with non M43 lenses." Where and how do I get to the correct menu to switch off "lens check" ?

Thank you.
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #10
Major Player

MENU-> OTHER FUNCTIONS -> LENS CHECK

I think I turned this off the day I got it, and have never turned it back on.

I recommend, as a new user, doing one or two things:
1. Buy Barry Green's "The AF100 Book"
2. Find a nice comfy chair, grab a frosty beverage, and spend a good while just looking through all the various options in all the various menus. Even if you don't remember where everything is explicitly, it will give you a good idea of what sorts of settings are in which menus.
Old March 26th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #11
Major Player

Got it. Found it. Did it. Dug it. Thank you. I had been there before but the choice wasn't all that obvious, and Barry Green's book, although thorough and a must for the AF100, assumes we (okay, "I") understand that "Check Lens" - "Yes/No" is not a question to be answered, but a function to be turned "on" or "off". I kept checking the lens, and sure enough, the camera has one. :-)

I had my first $hoot with the AF100 today. The footage looks fantastic, and I was being conservative shooting 720p. The audio was also very good. The only item I noticed is to be careful of the auto focus when shooting a CU or MCU - the slightest move of the head can cause a very obvious focus shift. No more auto focus for tight shots.

There is so much to learn, and so much more to share about this great camera. I can even get an adapter for my XL1s lenses! (and I was going to sell the XL1 - maybe sans lens?)
Old March 26th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
In that case, I have now restored our AF100 forum back to public view. Thanks,
Well, it has gotten this "Major Player" back on the site. I am as happy with the AF100 as I remember being with the XL1s, and that is very, very happy, and impressed.
Old March 26th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Major Player

Unfortunately, lenses for smaller sensors may fit physically, but will have severe vignetting on larger sensor cameras like the AF. Your XL lens is probably more useful with your XL.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders