HS900 1080/50P footage to edit, step by step help? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old September 5th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HS900 1080/50P footage to edit, step by step help?

Hi all,

I have just returned from my holiday with 12 hours of 1080/50P footage and wondered if one of you seasoned editors could give a step by step on how I can edit and burn to DVD at 720/50P so I can play on regular DVD players?

I presume I would need to offload from the camcorder in 720/50, can the camera do this or do I do that on the computer? I have a Mac with iMovie and or Final Cut X and clipwrap, or can get a demo of Vegas or whatever.

If I edit in iMovie, what would the be the best output to use in clipwrap, I tried Pro Res but the files end up massive and I haven't got the space or power to do them efficiently :0(

Need to offload to DVD ASAP so any help welcomed!

Thanks

Barry
Barry Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: HS900 1080/50P footage to edit, step by step help?

Barry, there is very good info in this thread already running....

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...50p-files.html

I don't use my Mac Pros and Final Cut for TM900 1080p50 files as I also have Vegas 9E on a Windows 7 Box and with Vegas its simple.

1. With a TM900 just archive your CAM MEM or CAM SD folder and all its subfolders on a HDD used for media storage. [The folder names may be different on a HS900, I don't know]. This guarantees future proofing for any NLE that you might use. I just put them in folders I create with names like "TM900 Mauritius 1 (2011)", "TM900 Mauritius 2 (2011)" etc. so I'll know what's in them in the distant future.
2. Back up those folders on other HDDs (and/or optical discs) in case your disc ever fails - it does happen - just had a Freecom Pro 1TB external HDD die on me yesterday....
3. Open Vegas and set up a Template with the sort of things needed as a Custom Template (1080p, progressive timeline etc.). Note: Once your happy with the template - test it with a few quick clips which you then render out (pixel peeping type of check) then save it as a Favourite. I always make notes as I'm developing a workflow. if you don't know what you are doing, just pick an existing Template.
4. Connect your HDD with all the saved media clips on it and open the chosen folder....drill down all the subfolders until you get to the clips.
5. Drag any desired clips on the timeline and edit away once its built the audio (my Windows 7 i7 box with RAID0 handles them like butter/in seconds).
6. I don't export to 720p50 personally as I prefer 1080p25 for most of my stuff (but on clips that will retain playback in real time - i.e. typically most of them) I learnt, on here, that it's best to select each clip and under Properties > Video Event set to Undersample Rate to 0.5 (the default is 1.0) as that gives much, MUCH sharper clips on export of 1080p25. With slomo, if I slow stuff down by 50% (insert Velocity envelope, then adjust) then those clips typically retain the 1.0 setting - but it all depends on the look you're after.
7. Once you've edited to your desired outcome select a Render format and choose a settings option from the drop down list (I again customise mine for my needs - 10 or 20Mbps customised template built around a 1080p25 Sony AVC works well for me for .mp4 exports) and then Render the finished movie - again this is typically pretty fast on my box with certain formats.

There is lots I really don't have time to go into as I've a lot of client work going on now (I'm just back from holiday) but I strongly suggest anyone tests different settings and workflow and then decides what works for them. My workflow may not be best but its currently working OK for me.

Hope this helps a bit!

And P.S. (not aimed at you Barry) I'm increasingly getting lots of personal e-mails asking me for very specific help with all things Panasonic TM900 et al. I really don't have time to answer all those individually so please just post on DVinfo and I (or anybody else of course) will try and help as and when time allows.

Note to Mods. I'd suggest this thread is merged with the one I linked to above.
Old September 5th, 2011, 04:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Many thanks for the fast response Andy :0)

I'm unfamiliar with using Vegas but will have to get going and learn it quick!

My Mac Pro, 6GB ram + quad 2.66GHz CPU is now a bit dated, (2008), compared to your i7 and I'll be using windows 7 in a virtual environment, (parallels), so will be slower than yours.

Was hoping I could just plug the camera in the Mac and spin off the discs, but that's too simple!

Thanks again

Barry
Barry Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 06:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Barry,

I jumped headlong into Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Production Suite ($125) after buying a TM900 and was burning Blu Rays in a few hours. It edits the 1050p files fine and has great tutorials and help files. I export to 720 50p for Blu Ray and it looks awesome. I also export the full 1080 50p files to my WD Live Media Player. Results still blow me away with their quality. Have a good read of the thread Andy you pointed to. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Have fun,
Ian
Ian Cope is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders