HMC and TM900 comparison screen shot. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Major Player

HMC and TM900 comparison screen shot.

Hello everyone. Just did a little live shootout with the HMC-150 and TM900 side by side at last night's wedding. I thought this was a interesting comparison. I have adjusted them in post because the HMC was at 1080/24p at 1/24 and the TM900 was at 1080/60p at 9db of gain. They seem to match pretty well, but I have to say they both look like VHS footage compared to the 60D. :)
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
HMC and TM900 comparison screen shot.-image3.jpg  
Old September 11th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: HMC and TM900 comparison screen shot.

Interesting Bill. I dont understand why you state they both look like VHS footage compared to the 60D.
Both the video cameras have a far higher resolution than any DSLR.
I tried DSLRs for a while earlier in the year (canon 7d and 550d), no problem on the operating front, and very handy to be able to use an assortment of lenses, But the quality, particularly when encoded to Mpeg2 for SD DVD was really lacking, compared to EX1 and TM900 footage. I have a lot of footage taken on the DSLRs, and the more I view it, the more apparent its short comings become, compared to video cam footage. I fully understand that a lot of guys are using DSLRs with great success, having used them for a fair while, it became apparent they were not for me. I guess we all see things differently.
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Sure. Firstly with the whole "everything is in focus" thing. :) and honestly both video cameras have a videoish look that the DSLRs don't have in my opinion. I find that even when I'm shooting in optimal lighting, the DSLRs blow everything else away, and I struggle to use any other footage. I was hoping that these cams would keep up. But they both seem to be lacking in the same way that the A1 was. The shot of this from the 60d with the 70 -200 IS is crystal clear, bright and colorful without any adjustment. I'll try to grab a screenshot and post it. It's ok, they're video cameras they should look like video cameras.
Bill
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Here's the 60 shot.
Attached Thumbnails
HMC and TM900 comparison screen shot.-image1.jpg  
Old September 11th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Like I said, I guess we all see things differently
Old September 11th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Major Player

Yep. :) Good that people can have opinions. I'm probably getting rid of both of these cameras. I've just got to find something to fill the void.
Bill
Old September 11th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Bill,

Which is which in the 1st shot you posted? Also, would have been great to see the 60D shot at the same focal length as the 2 video cams. Then comparison would be easy.

Thanks,
Ian
Ian Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #8
Major Player

Ian I shot the 60D with the 70-200 so that is as wide of a shot as I get. The left shot is the Tm900 the right is the HMC-150. If I had zoomed on either and been forced to stop down, the difference would be that much more striking. I did figure out how to do slow shutter on the tM9oo so that was a primary part of the problem with that shot, but there's not much excuse for the HMC.it is wide though

Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders