Ag-hmc80? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old October 5th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Ag-hmc80?

Hey Mark

For weddings it makes life so much easier with two identical cameras and with two HMC80's you have the best of both worlds and a dual camera setup for around $4K and you know the footage will match perfectly plus any accesories on one will fit on the other too. The only extras that stay permanently on each camera and are no shared are the Rode VideoMics!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #17
Major Player

Hi Chris,

I really thinking hard about getting two of these for the next wedding season. As long as the lowlight capability is not as bad as the Sony FX7 or Canon XH A1 I'm all in. I'm trying to spend about 4k for these and wanted to know which store has the lowest price? Lastly, are there any recommendations for an inexpensive 3rd cam for B roll that match the pannys? I ask because I've always shot with a Sony or Canon.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Troy

With wedding receptions and dim lighting most cameras will need a light so I automatically clip one on the camera when the reception begins. Over here we cannot use lighting in Churches and I have shot in pretty dark Churches without any issues!!

However don't expect miracles from 1/4" chips!! They perform as well as any other 1/4" CMOS and the gain on these is pretty clean and noise free up to 18db too which is a huge asset!!!

If I was going for a 3rd camera However.....why not look at a Panasonic GH2 DSLR ...with a decent lens and the big sensor you then have a camera that is awesome in low light and you can get some neat shallow DOF shots too!!!

Chris
Old October 5th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks Chris! 18db Wow! The third camera I was asking about is for my CYA camera (usually at the back of the church). Will the Panasonic GH2 handle something like that? I thought a DSLR would get too hot.
I know it would be perfect for highlights and reception shorts.
Old October 5th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi Troy

My buddy Chip seems to find eithet GH1 and GH2's at bargain prices..a lot lower than we can get them here!! Over here a GH2 and 14-140 (or 14-42) is almost the same price as an HMC80!!! They seem to be a lot cheaper in the US!!

It only seems to be the Canons that overheat and have the 12 minute record limit and I haven't heard of any that overheat. However to be absolutely sure, get a PM over to Jeff Harper you uses 4 of these at weddings ...nothing better than on-site experience from a wedding videographer. Otherwise pop a new thread onto the next forum down as ask a couple of people if they have had any overheat issues??

I would really like to use at least a 1/2" chip camera at receptions to handle low light but sadly at $8K +++ it doesn't fit into my budget .... the GH2 with a really fast lens like the 25mm F1.4 would also solve any issues of really poor light at receptions. On the average, receptions are VERY dim and dark anyway and nowdays I just don't worry too much about that footage!!

I don't use DSLR's during weddings as there is really too much to think about..exposure, focus (only manual!!!) and still everything is happening so fast mistakes will occur!! Jeff is now using a real video camera for weddings and the GH2's for the same shots as you want to use them for!!! A fixed GH2 at the back (on a balcony) will work really well!!

Chris
Old October 6th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks Chris. That's exactly what I was looking for. Now I will have to see if I want to wait for the G3. There's a rumor that the low light support will be better. I agree about shooting weddings with DSLRs.
Way too much to think about;-) I have a couple of VX2000 that I need to finally part with. These cams have served me well.
Old October 17th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #22
Major Player

@Chris

Ended up buying 2 hmc150's from this forum. I've tested them a bit and so far so good. Now I will have to check into the 3rd cam option in a few months. May even wait around for the GH3. Unless a great deal on a GH2 comes up. Thanks for the help.
Old October 17th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Hi Troy

Nice!! 1/3rd chips too!! I looked into getting 150's but the cost of "converting" them into shoulder mount cameras would have been way too much money!! Basically I would need something like the DV Multirig and then the Zacuto EVF at least so you can have a decent eyepiece and you have to spend another $1500!!!
I really don't like having an EVF at the back of the camera as it's almost impossible to hold steady and the 150 also has a really tint LCD in the EVF so it's like looking down a tunnel. That's why I stuck to the 80's as they had the massive EVF and eyepiece. I figured it was easier to live with smaller chips.

The HMC150's are still awesome cameras!!!! Let us know your thoughts when you get them in your hot hands!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders