RedRock shipping Canon L lens controller for MFT at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old September 25th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #1
Sponsor: Westside AV

RedRock shipping Canon L lens controller for MFT

This is great news. I just ordered one and I will post first impressions later this week. The web site claims lead time on orders less than one day.

I may still get the Birger system as well it will be for focus and hopefully IS functions as well. But this is the first Iris controller actually shipping, and it is perfect timing for me as I have a lot of foliage shots to do in the next few weeks here in the White Mountains. And my favourite lenses for this has always been the 24-70 f2.8L and the 70-200 f2.8L IS.

Redrock Micro - Live Lens MFT
Old September 26th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: RedRock shipping Canon L lens controller for MFT

Hey Olof,

Glad to hear you jumped on board, I look forward to hearing your first impressions of the system!
Old September 26th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Just so it's clear to the rest of the community:

The Red Rock Micro EOS/EF adapter does not allow "IS" functionality, nor can it control lenses that have electronic focus wheels such as the 85mm f/1.2L or 300mm f/2.8L, it's strictly for IRIS control. So far.

The Birger Engineering model (not yet shipping) is supposed to allow for all three functions: Focus, Iris and built-in lens Image Stabilization. They are also hinting at a cine-style focus controller.

There were rumors that Novoflex was making an MFT to EOS/EF adapter but that's incorrect, they currently only offer an MFT to Canon FD (manual focus lenses) adapter.
Old September 28th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #4

OK first impressions is a little disapointing. The unit arrived I put it on the camera with a 24-70 2.8L and nothing happened. So I double checked the battery and the connections. One of the pins on the Hirose connector is live with 9.3v so the cable seems OK.

I called RedRock, just messages no person. I have emailed and tried Live Chat on their site, it does not seem to work.

I know these things happen and maybe I am doing something wrong. But it would be nice to talk to someone at the company.

I still hope that this is a great unit. I will report back soon hopefully. I am about to try another lens as well.
Old September 28th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #5

Here is the setup. Looks great except the Iris controller does not work on the EF lens. This is the second lens I tried.

I am sure RR will sort this out for me. I just hope it is soon, I was going to use it on a shoot tomorrow. Oh well. I have waited this long.
Attached Thumbnails
RedRock shipping Canon L lens controller for MFT-mftlivelens.jpg  
Old September 29th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #6

OK thing look a little better this AM.

I got an email from RR this AM and they asked for some photos and info. I supplied this.

I then did some further testing and found that the problem is a bad ground in the wire or the Hirose connector. I do get 9.3v at one of the pins but the ground is not working, so by jumping a ground to the Hirose sleeve I got the unit to work right. So I need a replacement power unit, or I may re-solder / replace the cable. This is up to RedRock when they get back to me again. I am also hoping that the Live lens can be used with power from a D-tap. More on this later.

One point of interest is when the power to the LiveLens is turned off the lens opens up all the way. So at least with my 70-200 f2.8L IS turning the power off to save battery would not work.

Other than this rough start I really like the MFT LiveLens. It is small and easy to work, it shows the Iris in 1/3 stops. and the adapter seems very well made. I will shoot some tests later when the power issue is solved. Bad cables are not a new thing to us in this industry, it may even be that it left RedRock in fine shape, sometimes a cable is defective or a solder joint just is weak and fails. I must have had dozens of XLR's and BNC cables as well as others go bad over the years.

RedRock did get back to me by email within 12 hrs, this is good. I do like companies that have good tech support and I do prefer to have phone contact with them.

Here is a link to some photos of testing of the unit. More soon.

LiveLensMTF - Page 1
Old September 29th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #7

I now have repaired the Hirose plug, the negative wire was broken in the cable where the brass strain relief is crimped on.

The LiveLens now works perfectly. I really like it.

RedRock TechSupp called me twice this morning and they are shipping me a new battery power unit overnight. So I would say this is very good customer support. The issue was resolved quickly and I did get to talk to a human, twice even. They are also letting me keep the original setup so I can shoot today and tomorrow, naturally it is now raining.

And they told me that it is fine to use an AB or IDX battery plate with a D-tap as a power source. This is great I will convert this cable to a D-tap, so I now have one battery that runs the AF100, Nanoflash, LiveLens, Zakuto EVF, and an on camera LED light if I like.

As I stated earlier this is a nice small rugged adapter and it works very well. I will report more after using it in the field.

A note. If you set the Iris and then turn the LiveLens power off, the Iris will stay at the setting, however when you turn the LiveLens power back on it will return the lens to wide open.
Old September 30th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #8
Major Player

What are the power requirements for the live Lens? Is it a min of 9v?

I was wondering if you could use Switt AF100 battery to power, which has a 2.1mm consumer 7.2v power output.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #9

Here is a link to a video of how the LiveLens works on my 70-200.

It is a bit shaky but I was at 200mm and punching the buttons does move the lens a bit.

I find the LL very responsive and easy to work.

This video was shot 1080 but is compressed and shrunk for Vimeo using FCPX Share to Vimeo feature. No CC.

Old September 30th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #10
Major Player

Hey Joe,

Right now, 9v is the minimum power consumption we officially support.
Old October 1st, 2011, 10:41 PM   #11
Panasonic Broadcast

Will be showing the red Rock Live Lens at the VMI show in Seattle on the 5th of October.

Hopefully will see some of you there!

Jan
Old October 20th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #12
Regular Crew

anyone having backfocus issues with the 24-70? i dont know if its my lens or the adapter or both.
Ed Quinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 02:39 PM   #13

I use the 24-70 f2.8 a lot.

You have to realize it is not a parafocal lens. Neither is the 70-200 f2.8. The focus will change as you zoom.

I love both these lenses but they are really still lenses. They were designed to be used for stills where the AF is set when you push the trigger (there are ways of over riding this in EOS cameras). Then it does not matter where the zoom is set.

You really have to think of these lenses as variable primes. Don't zoom in set focus and then zoom out to shoot, it just does not work with large f-stops like 2.8. At f8 you probably would not notice this.
Old October 21st, 2011, 02:55 PM   #14
Regular Crew

thats what i figured, thanks for confirming.
Ed Quinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Simons View Post
Hey Olof,

Glad to hear you jumped on board, I look forward to hearing your first impressions of the system!
Why is your shipping quote so ridiculously high to Indonesia/Australia?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders