AG-AC130 vs XF300 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:05 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: AG-AC130 vs XF300

Chris I agree 100%. It's just I'm thinking the time may be close for me to step up and that 130 is intriquing. So when it comes out I'll compare apples to apples. The 130 vs. the Sony NX5 and make the decision from there. Of course I could just say "no" to it all and keep doing what I'm doing with what I have.
Who knows, only time and my wallet will tell.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:29 AM   #17
Trustee

The biz aspects of camera purchases are a tricky area. Personally, I was doing just fine with my hmc150 but started landing a few greenscreen gigs which really showed the 150's deficiencies. After showing up with the 300 and a couple of clients noticing how much better the keys were, I knew it was a good decision. It even led to me building my own greenscreen studio. And the location shoots were equally improved. Being able to assure clients they are getting "broadcast quality" seems to have moved me up a notch in my market. During the busy season, I do 3-4 shoots a week. The rest of my time is editing. And with purchasing gear, I don't finance. I feel it's the safest way to judge the feasibility of a major decision like that.
Problem with "keeping up with the Joneses" is there's always going to be someone who has better gear. Its hard to let go of that and stay in your niche. It's when you start feeling that the market you are in is pulling ahead technology-wise that it makes sense to upgrade. Luckily in my market, the 300 is in the upper end of Independently owned cameras. There are a few guys with Reds and the bigger studios have the full size cams but they are quite a bit more per hour and I don't think they do the volume of biz I do. There is a place for all the different cameras out there...it's just where you want to position your business and the type of work you want to do.
Just my two cents on the whole cost vs return question.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 12:07 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Right but all I'm saying is let's compare 1 to 1 meaning same specs to same specs. For example, IMO the best comparable camera to the AC-130 would be the Sony NX5. .
I think the AC-130 is more like the Sony AX2000 with the NX5 more like the AC160. I think Panasonic adopted the same difference with including the HD-SDI, as a differentiator. This allows the AC160 or NX5U to use an external recorder and different codec.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:32 PM   #19
Inner Circle

from what I read of th specs the 130 and 160 have the identical glass, dsp, codecs everything is the same except the 160 has the hd-sdi out. which for me frankly doesn't matter. But the format AVCHD, bitrates, XLR inputs which the AX2000 doesn't have lens length virtually the same as the NX5 (20 for sony -21 for Panny) makes them more comparable than the AX2000 but thats just me.
As I've said, Im going to wait and see when the camera actually hits the market.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:48 PM   #20
Inner Circle

AX2000 has XLR's the difference is the NX5U comes with a microphone, has the connections for the FMU128, HD-SDI and some more picture controls.The NX5U can thus record simultaneous HD and SD or a backup etc if equipped with the FMU128 could also record to an external recorder at the same time too. Otherwise the AX2000 and NX5U are identical. Comparison between the AC130 and AC160 are very similar.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:30 PM   #21
Inner Circle

yep, my error on the AX2000. Regardless waiting until the 130 comes out so fair comparasions can be made to other cameras of the same type. Then we'll all be able to "argue" the merits" of 1 over the other with real life information, facts and maybe even some real hands on experience.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 06:12 PM   #22
Slash Rules!

There are four differences between the 130 and the 160 (price aside)
-hdsdi on 160
-lpcm audio on 160 (ac3 audio on 130)
-160 is ntsc/pal switchable
-160 has variable frame rates
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #23
Major Player

Now that the are selling the AG-AC130 I am very interested in hearing what new owners think?
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #24
Major Player

I have the 130 and am very pleased with it so far.

The zoom is amazing is still really sharp and usable when fully zoomed in with very good OIS, and the handle zoom has an excellent 'creep' preset speed which I really liked.

The focus assists (face detect - focus and iris set) I used at a 'run and gun' wedding last weekend really surprised me, (I've got some samples in another thread), and the ergonomics were much nicer than my Ex 1's, making it seem lighter to use over the day.

Nice camera, excellent images, and great EVF. Really easy to nail focus with assists.

I have a dance concert to record tomorrow night so am interested to see how that will come up, but the image so far is very comparable to EX 1's I have.

Although it has simultaneous record, you cannot use the record check when using this function, which to me negates the whole purpose as I like to hit the check button now and again, and usually do not have the time to switch to playback to do it. Only real bummer so far.

Cheers,

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Hi Vaughan

That's very pleasing to hear indeed. I'm looking to replace my HMC82's with two AC-130's for weddings as I really need the 1/3rd chips now!!! Keep us updated on your comments too!!!

Are you using Radio Mics for weddings?? if so where are you mounting receivers on the 130????

The only place I have found them so far is VideoGuys at $4150 ...did you get yours there????

BTW: I did a search for your name regarding the other thread with samples and found nothing!! Do you have a link perhaps???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #26
Major Player

Hi Chris,

I have an old Azden system that has a cold shoe metal 'box' that the receiver sits in, so at a church it is on the top of the camera. If I have to use a light in a dark venue, i.e. some restauarants or golf clubs, I just put the receiver in my top pocket.

The other thread in the one below this one.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...c-130-yet.html

Cheers,

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Thanks Vaughan!!

I found the pics too!! My main issue at the moment is receptions and my poor 1/4" chips are struggling!!!!
In fact my previous set of cameras were HMC72's which still had 1/4" CCD's not CMOS are they fared a little better but apart from going for two EX3's (I don't have a spare $16K!!!) The AC-130 seems the answer!!

There doesn't seem to be anything in the price range that's even close that has 1/3rd chips..even the HM750 JVC's are a good 50% higher in cost and their battery packs cost an arm and a leg!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders