DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   HMC80 Carry Case Options (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/503498-hmc80-carry-case-options.html)

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 12th, 2011 12:28 PM

HMC80 Carry Case Options

So, I am trying to figure out what case to get to store and transport my new camera in. It's so much bigger than my FX-7 so my Kata CC-192 is out the door.

I came across the Kata OMB-75 at B&H on sale for $150...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/m.../IMG_75992.jpg

Kata OMB-75 One Man Band Bag, Medium KT OMB-75 B&H Photo Video

What bags are you guys using? I will have the Bracket1 1C2 attached to it.

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 12th, 2011 12:45 PM

Re: HMC80 Carry Case Options

Or should I got with something a bit more low-profile?

Kata CC-197 GDC HDV Case KT CC-197 B&H Photo Video

Chris Harding December 13th, 2011 06:39 PM

Hi Michael

Panasonic actually used to make a hard case for the HMC70 (via a 3rd party case manufacturer) so they probably also make one for the 80!! Both my cameras sit on top of a cabinet at the office, I have custom made boxes with foam inserts for each camera in the trunk of my car so they are protected whilst travelling and then for transport to and from venues my aluminium trolley has a top camera tray with hard foam cutouts so both cameras can slip in (but they have to sit "top and tail" )

I don't have any bags or cases..I just carry them before I use them..that's what the handle is for!! I have always preferred to have my cameras back at the office "in the open" ...putting them away in a bag or in the dark is an ideal recipe for getting a fungus on the lens!!!

Chris

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 13th, 2011 11:14 PM

interesting... never thought about fungus on the lens...

a hard case might be ideal for me as i have a 2 year old and an 8 year old in the house running around and grabbing everything in sight...

i can't seem to find a Panasonic case specific to the 70 and/or 80, although there was a PortaBrace supposedly for the 80, but the interior dimension shows a width of 6.5" but the actual width of the camera seems wider than that...

Chris Harding December 14th, 2011 12:09 AM

Hey Michael

Thermodyne make them !!

Panasonic SHAN-HMC80 Thermodyne Shipping case for the AGHMC80 with wheels, and handle

A buddy of mine ruined both his MX series cameras as he stored them in a closet and it must have been damp!!! The quote to strip the lenses and clean them was HUGE....if you are going to seal them up or put them away make sure you have plenty of silica gel. My office has two double stacked cupboards and the top is left free for the cameras and they also can't be accidentally knocked over!! Not as neat as being put away but they stay in the fresh air and stay fungus free!! I would only use hard cases for transport!!

Chris

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 15th, 2011 04:15 PM

i like that case...

just isn't in my current budget, but definitely will consider it if/when i decide to travel with the camera...

for now, i went and ordered the Kata OMB-75 from B&H... luckily i don't live/work in a humid area, so hoping to avoid the fungi...

i have 2 Canon AE-1 cameras that have survived thus far sitting on the shelf, so hoping for the best with the HMC80...

i do want that Thermodyne though... hmmmmmmmmmm

Steve Loeffler December 19th, 2011 03:58 PM

I got the hard case Chris was talking about during the intro promo when the HMC-80 was released. The cam would probably survive if dropped out of a plane. It's a little pricy but worth every penny.

Cheers

Chris Harding December 19th, 2011 05:09 PM

That's neat Steve!!

My only issue is that both my cams have Rode Videomics fitted PLUS each camera has a different wireless mic mount on it so a custom case sometimes isn't the perfect answer unless you are happy to remove extra fittings and mountings every time you put the camera away.

However if you do travel a lot, then it's worth getting!!! I still survive in the car with my foam lined timber boxes that just hold the bottom half of the cameras so extra fittings don't get in the way!!

Chris

Don Bloom December 19th, 2011 05:22 PM

I have a Thermodyne Shok-Stop I bought about 12 years ago for my then new PD150. I carried a bunch of stuff in there and while I had to remove the mic from the cam mount to fit it in the case and close it it saved my camera more than once. It took a 30 foot drop once down an elevator shaft and other than a couple of marks on the case which have since come off the case and all inside survived and lived to fight another day.
Actually if I'm only carrying a stripped down kit for say a corp type job I still use it. It has also been to Hawaii with me 3 times as a carry on and fits as snug as a bug in a rug in the overhead.
Paid a couple of hundred for it back then and was worth every penny.

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 20th, 2011 11:10 PM

yah, i won't be flying anytime soon with my camera... the Kata came in today and it is bulky... hahah...

i have a Bracket1 C2 and Varizoom QR tripod plate permanenty afixed to the camera now, so the Kata definitely holds it perfectly with all the accessories attached, but it's pretty much a big cube which would never fit in an overhead...

is the Thermodyne for the HMC80 carry-on compliant?