Panasonic X900M - TM700/900 Replacement - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old September 13th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #16
Tourist

Re: Panasonic X900M - TM700/900 Replacement

I purchased the x900m about 6 weeks ago. I've used it to video several live performances at the MO state fair from the grandstand and (the first) parts of a live spotlighted performance. I have also posted an
'ultimate' test of it's OIS while driving on a rough non-paved road on you tube.

The performance of this camera is truly AMAZING!

The REAL TIME manual control during the spotlighted performances was quickly mastered, could be viewed 'in progress' and very effective. If you've ever videoed a spotlighted performance I'm sure you appreciate how important that is.

At the MO state fair at 50x (+/-) it filled the screen with Hank Williams Jr from high up in the grandstand. The camera was basically handheld (no tripod, monopod or post to lean against) and the results are quite acceptable...especially appreciating how unstable ones arm, etc. becomes during a long shoot.

While I was driving on the rough road OIS test I held the camera in my right hand periodically glancing at the screen. The dash and rear view mirror are at the lower center and right hand corner of the video respectively. They are 'bouncing' all over the place! When I watched the video (after safely arriving home) I couldn't believe what I saw!!! I placed my finger on the top of the road (it's horizon so to speak) to best gauge it's movement. IT DIDN'T MOVE!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Most recently I had the opportunity to video with the x900 and a Sony cx760 in an electronic's store in Houston, TX - strictly for comparison purposes. Reviewing the results directly from the same SD card on my computer (having a very high resolution screen) here are my conclusions. 1st, the Sony does have a slightly wider field of view. Also, the new lens floating feature significantly improves the stability when zoomed in in the higher zoom range and is particulary noticeable at the max 120 of the Sony (about 100 on the Panny...the Panny will go out to 700).

However, the image quality, particularly w.r.t. noise and color saturation, was considerably better with the x900 (while pleased with that I must admit surprise). I feel this is likely due to the 3 cmos approach. I have a Sony vx2100 which I purchased several years ago in particular for it's 1 lux low light capability. That is needed for Wedding videos, especially for the "first dance." I note that to my knowledge it (and other) truly Pro-sumer and Pro video cams incorporate 3 sensors (I believe CCD's in the 2100).

Regarding low light performance the x900 has a setting which slows the shutter speed to 1/5th of a second. That being 'tolerable' given the subject matter the low light quality of the truly technicolor results (as opposed to a 'green' image) are also rather incredible. That's not to say it doesn't do well at 1/30th at max gain because it does.

Regarding the 3D capability I haven't popped for the lens yet but I plan to.

All things considered I'm extremely pleased with the camera and the lower price (a minimum of $500 I believe) certainly adds 'frosting to the cake.'
Carl Youngquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #17
Tourist

I purchased the x900m about 6 weeks ago. I've used it to video several live performances at the MO state fair from the grandstand and highlights of a live spotlighted performance (the first of it's kind with this camera for me). I have also posted an
'ultimate' test of it's OIS while driving on a rough non-paved road on you tube.

The performance of this camera is truly AMAZING!

The REAL TIME manual control during the spotlighted performances was quickly mastered, could be viewed 'in progress' and very effective. If you've ever videoed a spotlighted performance I'm sure you appreciate how important that is.

At the MO state fair at 50x (+/-) it filled the screen with Hank Williams Jr from high up in the grandstand. The camera was basically handheld (no tripod, monopod or post to lean against) and the results are quite acceptable...especially appreciating how unstable ones arm, etc. becomes during a long shoot.

While I was driving on the rough road OIS test I held the camera in my right hand periodically glancing at the screen. The dash and rear view mirror are at the lower center and right hand corner of the video respectively. They are 'bouncing' all over the place! When I watched the video (after safely arriving home) I couldn't believe what I saw!!! I placed my finger on the top of the road (it's horizon so to speak) to best gauge it's movement. IT DIDN'T MOVE!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Most recently I had the opportunity to video with the x900 and a Sony cx760 in an electronic's store in Houston, TX - strictly for comparison purposes. Reviewing the results directly from the same SD card on my computer (having a very high resolution screen) here are my conclusions. 1st, the Sony does have a slightly wider field of view. Also, the new lens floating feature significantly improves the stability when zoomed in in the higher zoom range and is particulary noticeable at the max 120 of the Sony (about 100 on the Panny...the Panny will go out to 700).

However, the image quality, particularly w.r.t. noise and color saturation, was considerably better with the x900 (while pleased with that I must admit surprise). I feel this is likely due to the 3 cmos approach. I have a Sony vx2100 which I purchased several years ago in particular for it's 1 lux low light capability. That is needed for Wedding videos, especially for the "first dance." I note that to my knowledge it (and other) truly Pro-sumer and Pro video cams incorporate 3 sensors (I believe CCD's in the 2100).

Regarding low light performance the x900 has a setting which slows the shutter speed to 1/5th of a second. That being 'tolerable' given the subject matter the low light quality of the truly technicolor results (as opposed to a 'green' image) are also rather incredible. That's not to say it doesn't do well at 1/30th at max gain because it does.

Regarding the 3D capability I haven't popped for the lens yet but I plan to.

All things considered I'm extremely pleased with the camera and the lower price (a minimum of $500 I believe) certainly adds 'frosting to the cake.'
Carl Youngquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 04:11 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Any updates from X900M owners on how this cam is performing?
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:55 PM   #19
Major Player

I have the X900, the model that records to a card only. At under $800au it was considerably cheaper than my TM900.

A few points: -

I appreciate the X900’s wider angle particularly for stabilizer shots, however the wider angle comes with a larger filter size than for the TM. As I have standardized on 58 mm filters and Canon close up lenses by using a step up ring I can use these accessories on either camera so saving on buying a new set. (My 58 mm accessories are a good size for reducing vignetting problems and are left over from PD150 days, I even use the PD150 hoods).

Batteries, chargers and infrared remote are interchangeable – all good.

A feature that I value is that any changes to the “picture adjust” menu survive turning the camera on and off.

A gripe is that you still have to set “Pre-record” for every shot. This is particularly annoying when using the camera remotely.

It still has manual focus and the very useful blue focus assist function, both invaluable for natural history projects. I have motorized focus in both cameras. The screen is better but I find that I have to have both cameras side by side to appreciate the difference.

As one who always uses a support and frequently checks results on a computer screen the bottom loading card is a retrograde step. I do not know why I complain though as I used to use a 16 mm camera underwater. The 100 foot load would last a little over 2 minutes and changing a light sensitive film in a rocking boat while wearing a dripping wet suit was full of hazards. With luck you could see your results in a day or two otherwise it could be up a month later. How times have changed.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Any updates from X900M owners on how this cam is performing?
I too would be very interested as I was so impressed seeing Andy's TM900 yesterday & discovering that the X900M is only £765 ($1225) including 20% sales tax. There are also a couple of similar variants on the X900M that are even cheaper. The X900 is apparently identical to the X900M but without 32GB of onboard memory it is however only £650 ($1050) so the savings would buy at least 3x32GB SanDisk Extreme SD cards. Finally there is the X800 which is just £450 ($720) & appears to have the same sensor lens & OIS system but is smaller (3" screen vs. 3.5") & lighter (345g vs 425g without battery) but lacks the manual control ring of the X900/X900M. Here is a comparison of the three models Products -Compare Products -Panasonic UK & Ireland Apart from the X800 recording in stereo rather than the 5.1 Dolby Digital of the other two models the main specifications are all but identical but I am guessing that without the manual control ring that the X800 really is just an auto-everything point & shoot. The X800 could be a viable option as a locked off B or C cam where many people are using a GoPro that is also of course an auto-everything point & shoot.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:37 AM   #21
New Boot

I picked mine up a week ago at B&H in NYC for $599 US. What? Yeah, it was $599 until 12/24/12 while supplies last. I can't imagine it goes up from there, but who knows.
So far I am very pleased with the limited testing I have done with it. I am especially happy with the time-lapse feature and its ease of use.
The ergonomics are quite good I think. While it's slightly clumsy to switch functions of the 'outer ring' using the 'Camera Function' button at front left, this was one of the main reasons I bought the camera (same for my Sony RX-100 P&S camera)...to be able to have a big ring with which to pull focus or manage the iris setting in changing light....awesome. Very old school. By default it seems to come up with W > T zoom function assigned which is fine.
Screen is gorgeous....almost too big. Viewfinder is OK, has good diopter adjustment (once you locate it), and can power on and off the cam by pulling it towards you or re-seating it flush.
So far so good.....real test will be shooting some hockey games in January. For now I'll stick with time-lapses of shopping malls and so on.
Philip Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #22
New Boot

I was at B&H today to get a bigger battery for shooting hockey games and such....looks like the price went up to $699 for now.
Philip Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I just picked one up today from B&H for $619.00. Looks like they're clearing them out to make way for the new X920. I thought I would get an X900 for shooting events and as a travel cam, and use my DSLR for the really serious work where I can take my time and be deliberate in my cinematic approach.
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:09 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I purchased the x9000m about a week ago and have been testing it out.
I really like the quality of the image it produces and the OIS is very good.

There is one thing that I've noticed. It seems like the video displayed on the lcd while camera is on is slow or perhaps late. I noticed it first when I was moving my hand in front of the lens, so then I turned the camera and lcd toward my face and talked. My lips on the lcd were out of sync.
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #25
Trustee

Is there also Internal memory recording with the x920 or is it card only?

Thanks.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #26
Inner Circle

I THINK the X920M has 32GB internal memory and the X910 and PERHAPS the X920 does not. I suspect the M stands for internal Memory. Take a look at all the official specs on this website:

HC-X920/HC-X920M/HC-X910 | HD Camcorder | Panasonic Global

This (also official) UK website for the X920 does not list internal memory - from a quick glance I can't see any internal memory in the specs, only a reference to the card media it uses.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...trackInfo=true

You'd think Panasonic's Marketing machine would make something as important as memory provision between model derivatives crystal clear in all their official promo documentation! It's far from clear...suggest you contact Panasonic?
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #27
Trustee

Thanks Andy, yes, my TM900M and X900M both have the internal memory recording and just noticed that Prestons have the X920EB-K, I think this one has card recording only.

I'll contact Panasonic as you suggest, thanks Andy.
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #28
Major Player

Anthony if I were buying again I'd get the card only version at the much lower price. This is because you can get 32gb class 10 Sandisk cards on Amazon for only around £25. They are much quicker to download using a USB3 reader etc than downloading direct from a cam. Also if anything goes wrong you are not stuck with your valuable footage inside the cam.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #29
Trustee

Hello Peter, that's a very good point,.
Wonder does the card slot into the bottom of the camera, same as the x900?
I prefer it on the side of the camera, like the TM900,

Thanks again.
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Yes looks like it is on the bottom this new model year too!

To get round this silly design flaw - especially for anyone who will use it for long event work (locked off on a tripod, requiring removal of the tripod plate just to change the card - to spell it out!) - then I suggest the following:

1. either buy a cam WITH internal memory so that it can Relay Record once the media is full (if you set this up in the Menu) - less urgency then to get at the cam to swap media and no loss of coverage.
2. Obviously, use a much larger capacity card (in whichever cam variant) for that type of use. By the way, from the manual a single 64GB card would give 5h 20m at 1080p50 which should be long enough for most!

I actually only use 16GB cards (max) in the various AVCHD and XDCAMs cams I have (which specifically gives 1h 20m recording time in the TM900 for 1080p50). I don't like having all my eggs in one basket.

Peter does make a valid point above but one other thing. I've found the internal 32GB memory very useful when using the cam on holiday as switching/loosing cards is one less thing to worry about when one is relaxing with the family on a beach/at the poolside with just your swimming trunks on and a beer in hand :-)...but then again, if you're happy with one large capacity card in the cam you can get round that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders