Wind Sock for handcam built-in mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old February 15th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wind Sock for handcam built-in mic?

G'day,

Filming my sisters wedding tomorrow, using Panny TM900 and was going to be using a Zoom H1 for sound, however it's gone awol.

As the ceremony is outdoors, I'm worried about wind affecting the sound quality.

Has anyone ever made up a wind sock type device to help avoid wind distortion on a built in camera mic?

I have some foam etc on hand... or a Spotlight (fabrics) store nearby...

Yes, mickey mouse operator here.

Cheers

Travis
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Wind Sock for handcam built-in mic?

You did not mention what camera you will using, however if it is a TM 900 or similar there is a simple and quick option of using a small piece of "artificial fur" over the microphone. It can be held in place by double sided adhesive tape.

I got my piece of "artificial fur" from Spotlight in Bayswater, do you have a Spotlight in Geelong?
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Mickey :) For the on board mics on my Canon HV20-40s, I bought Shure SM58 mic foam pop filters to fit over top of each mic.

They're held down in position with elastic hair rings fitted around each cam. Doesn't look the best, they block all wind short of a cyclone,
without losing any sound.

So if you ask your sister or a bridesmaid nicely, they may have a spare one you could use with some of your foam. Or you might have a shop nearby.

Cheers.
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Alastair and Allan,

My wife does scrapbooking etc, so I've grabbed a few scraps of material... felt, teddy-bear, and a light blanket material, and test them out... then affix with some elastic bands or hair ties...

Failing that, I have some old over-ear headphones somewhere... can sacrifice the foam off them, as should have a similar effect hopefully.

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully it will be a very still day, with not much wind... but seems I lost my Zoom H1 with its wind sock, I just wanted to make sure I had my bases covered; and the Panasonic TM900 sounded pretty bad the other day when I tested it in high wind conditions.

Cheers

Travis
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Mickey, no you need foam not material, that'll knock the tops (frequencies) off your audio.

I suspect Shure mics tested various foam densities for their pop filters but don't let that detract you. If the wind builds up just use both left and right
foam pads offa your headphones.

As you read this, I also suspect your sister is out on the town on her hens night.

Wonderful time of life mate, please give her a kiss from all of us of tomorrow and don't worry about the wind, it'll be fine :)

Cheers.
Old February 16th, 2012, 05:03 AM   #6
Inner Circle

On a Z1, one day at an aviation event, desperate measures were called for. I took off my right RIO work/hiking sock, rolled it inside on itself a few times to make up some bulk and shoved it over the in-camera mike. It worked quite well for what it was.

I walked around for the remainder of the day like a destitute with a bare right foot inside my shoe.

I have also used fake woollen carseat cover material and elastic bands and once used a very long aircleaner element from an ore truck around a Sony C76 mic, complete with fine red dust going everwhere.

As I said, desperate measures, the staple of the unmoneyed.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Well I've pulled the foam ear pieces off my old headphones... they are about 2" wide, so fully cover the (built in) 5 mics... Will take some rubber bands or some such to attach, if needed.

Have 2 x 16GB SDHC cards, plus 32GB onboard memory ready... plus 2 batteries for the Panasonic TM900...

and the old Canon MVX430 is fully charged, with 2 MiniDV tapes...

Have a bucket of audio cables/adaptors in case I can tap into any local audio system...

2 cheap tripods, plus one of those mini tripods...

Stills camera, probably more for the wife to run around with... with 2 sets of batteries...

And fully charged laptop with room on the HDD, a SD card reader (that works with the SDHC cards, seems the SD slot on the laptop doesn't read them), USB cables, and PannyTM900 user guide... seems I've only had the camera a few weeks...

Time for bed...

Trying not to stress too much, as although the Zoom H1 didn't turn up, I'll just put the Canon close up at the front, and position myself with the Panny pretty close to the front too... And cross my fingers.
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Well, it's all done and dusted... now for editing.

After all that concern... there was a) no rain, and b) very very little wind, so no sound issues in that regard...

Yet to go through the footage properly but hopefully between the 2 cameras, and my iphone sitting next to the bride/groom, it'll be ok...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders