DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   tm900 at 100mph filter and hood possible? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/505941-tm900-100mph-filter-hood-possible.html)

Key Mabe March 7th, 2012 08:20 PM

tm900 at 100mph filter and hood possible?

Okay, I need help.

First off, if you've read the title and have ANY recommendations that could help me for my upcoming situation and camera, let me hear them. Doesn't matter if it was one of my questions, I want to learn.

Second, great forum, I've been working through the awesome TM900 thread as quickly as I can and learn more and more all the time. Lots of my questions have been answered in that thread already.

So I've got a new tm900 that I'm gonna have on a "River Run" coming up. This is basically 90-100mph speeds in bass boats in extremely choppy windy rough conditions. Lots of spray so I'm wanting to protect the camera lens with a filter. Are there hoods that allow the attachment of filters for this camera? Quality will be undeniably poor due to the rough ride anyways, so I don't mind zooming a little to get rid of vignetting. Or would a good filter be enough without a hood. I don't want filter induced glare, but I want to keep the camera lens safe. ANY FILTER RECOMMENDATIONS? that won't break the bank as this trip may damage them anyway.

Also, SETTINGS, any recommendations as I'm stepping up from a point and shoot miniDV camera that needed no settings.

Maybe do the "sports" preset and reduce the exposure/white balance a little? Not even sure if those are the correct terms. It may be cloudy, rainy, sunny or a little of everything.

Again, my main questions.

1) Are there hoods that allow the attachment of filters for this camera(TM900)?

2) ANY FILTER RECOMMENDATIONS?

3) Recommended settings for high speed bumpy travel?

I'm a complete NOOB with this camera and high def cameras in general. I appreciate your time.

Key

Chris Harding March 7th, 2012 09:26 PM

Re: tm900 at 100mph filter and hood possible?

Hi Key

Don't take it at all...at that speed it WILL get wet!!!

The ideal aquisition would be a GoPro Hero 2 for under $300!! They survive anything and are waterproof down to 100' or more and have many mounts too...That's what I would use..I match the hero footage quite nicely on my Panny AC-130's too!!

Use the TM for pre-event video and also post event but for the actual run just clamp a Hero to somewhere on the boat and let it run wild....the results will amaze you!!! and it won't worry about getting wet!!

Chris

Key Mabe March 7th, 2012 09:35 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Got a hero 2 for this Spring's run. Hope to have a total of 3 for the Fall run. But they don't provide zoom lenses which I have to be able to focus zoom on our buddies. So the TM has to go. I just want protect the lens with a hood and filter if the two can be combined, even using a step up ring. I just don't know if that's possible. I did read in the BIG TM900 thread where someone had 1 on the outside of a vehicle chasing a tornado, so hopefully the occasional spray I get won't be too bad on it.

Alastair Traill March 8th, 2012 12:51 AM

Hi Key,

I would certainly go for a step-up ring with filter and hood (round if possible). I would also be placing a plastic bag over the lot and fastening it to the hood with rubber bands. Once fastened I would cut a hole so that the camera could see out.

Colin Rowe March 8th, 2012 06:17 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I put this together on my TM900 for just a few pounds. Go for a 46 to 58 step up ring, this will make sure there is no problem when panning quickly with the OIS active. Also a petal hood eliminates any chance of vignetting in general.

Key Mabe March 8th, 2012 06:40 AM

Thank you very much for the replies.

ALastair,
A bag over the camera is certainly in the works.

Colin,
Love your setup. Wish I could use one of those eyepieces too, but I'll have an extended battery on mine. Is it flexible rubber?

EDIT: So how does a filter and hood combo work? Filter attaches to camera and hood screws on to filter? I've never used one before. What brand petal hood is that?

I can't wait to get this rig together and go practice. Although simulating a windy boat ride will be difficult on hard ground.

Thanks a bunch,

Key

Colin Rowe March 8th, 2012 07:02 AM

The rubber eyepiece is very flexible, it just slips over the rear eyepiece of the camera. I only use standard batteries, but I guess it could be adapted for use with larger batteries.

Lens>step up ring>filter>Lens hood. You will need a large filter, ie 58mm so that the OIS does not interfere with it when panning.

I dont know the make of the lens hood, got it off e-bay, there are dozens on there. The hood and 46 to 58 step up ring cost about £6

Key Mabe March 8th, 2012 07:46 AM

Thanks for the pictures and advice. Its much appreciated.

Key Mabe March 8th, 2012 09:03 PM

I'm trying to find an eyecup that slips over and has the side skirt kinda like yours. Not having much luck. Any ideas?

Colin Rowe March 9th, 2012 05:58 AM

It came off a Seagull LCD VF. The hole is just snug enough to fit over the widest part of the EVF. Unfortunately, I have not been able to track one down that can be purchased on its own. It is certainly a big help on bright sunny days.

Key Mabe March 9th, 2012 09:05 PM

Colin,

Thanks, that helped. Now I think I found something that will work.

Bill Bruner March 10th, 2012 06:19 AM

Colin - what kind of XLR adapter is that, a BeachTek? Does it have phantom power? Looks like it fits the TM900 perfectly.

Thanks,

Bill

Colin Rowe March 10th, 2012 10:17 AM

Bill- It is a Beachtek DXA-4, no phantom power. it does fit the TM900 perfectly. I have had it for a few years, purchased for use with the FX1 I had at that time, so glad I didnt sell it. I believe Beachtek produced a model, DXA-6A that provideded phantom power via a 9v battery. It was about the same size, and the fixing screw was positioned about the same place. It is now discontinued, but may be worth checking out on e-bay

Bill Bruner March 11th, 2012 10:49 AM

Thanks, Colin. I appreciate the quick answer. I do want phantom power (the mics are less expensive), but the adapters are all over $200 here in the States, even on eBay. I might as well get a with XLR inputs and phantom power. They're only $190.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Colin Rowe March 12th, 2012 08:39 AM

The Tascam DR40 is a very nice little unit, I have read some very good reviews on it . Might have to look into getting one for myself.