HMC-150 Playback Quirk...Workaround? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old March 21st, 2012, 11:06 PM   #1
Major Player

HMC-150 Playback Quirk...Workaround?

Using my HMC-150, with it set to PB mode, I want to play the clips on the SD card and send them over the composite out to a DVD recorder and record directly from the camera to the DVD recorder. No editing is required; in fact, I'm purposely trying to skip transfer to the PC and go from camera direct to DVD.

While the image gets written to the DVD well enough, it includes the green "PLAY" icon, i.e. the typical "arrowhead".

Does anyone know of a way to turn off that "PLAY" icon? I've read and re-read the manual, and have tried various PB and Thumbnail menu settings, but I can't get it to disappear, and searches have been fruitless.
Is there any (other) direct way to put footage recorded on an HMC-150 to a DVD?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: HMC-150 Playback Quirk...Workaround?

Hi Dennis,

I had used an HMC-40 for several months 2 years ago and know for a fact I was able to get a clean video output, and really, don't know of ANY camcorder that won't output a clean signal.

Googled the camera manual and they don't make it easy to find, but here's what I came up with -

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...-HMC150_OI.pdf

Pg. 84 shows menu structure (how to get to the OSD control)

Pg. 94 - VIDEO OUT OSD should be set to OFF

Hope this helps

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: HMC-150 Playback Quirk...Workaround?

Jeff,
A BIG THANK YOU for the quick reply, but I left out an important point: I also would like to have the date/time stamp appear on the DVD footage. (Apologies for that; I wrote my first post very late at night after a long and tiring day).

I already have PB MENU/DISPLAY SETUP/VIDEO OUT OSD = OFF, and CAM MENU/DISPLAY SETUP/VIDEO OUT OSD = OFF, and you're right, that gives a completely clean output signal. However, I'd also like to have the date/time stamp appear, and those settings don't do what I want

The original footage was recorded with the date/time stamp recorded to the card, apparently as some kind of "metadata", but not output to an external DVD recorder. When I play back the clips on the card, with VIDEO OUT OSD=ON, I can see the original date/time stamp, but that is when the green "PLAY" arrowhead appears.

Might it be the firmware version? I have 1.21-00-0.00, and now realize that I'm suffering from the bad location of the date/time stamp, i.e. it's entirely to close to the center of the screen. I know other cams have had firmware updates to correct that. I'm hoping there's a fix for the 150.

I'll be calling Panasonic soon for help on that.

Thanks again.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders