Rack Focus HMC150 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old March 28th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Rack Focus HMC150

Hello,

Can someone tell me if this zoom in zoom out style (video link below) was shot with one or two cams?
Also, can the HMC150 shoot similar video with the blurred background? My guess is
that the sensor is not lrg enough, but maybe there's a trick that I'm not aware of.

Thanks,
Troy

Eric Mansfield for Lt. Governor - YouTube
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Rack Focus HMC150

It could have been done with 2 cams but IMO probably not. If whoever shot it did it the way I've done this type of thing over the years, it gets shot twice (maybe more depending on the talent) First time I shot the wide or medium shot then in for the close up. The rest is in the edit.

As for the blurred background, with the 1/3inch cameras so much depends on the distance from the subject to the camera, how tight the shot is and the aperture (you want wide) so the lighting plays a big role in getting the look you want. You might need to use an ND filter to knock down the iris (wider) and keep the scene lit properly. You might need a bunch of reflectors, you might have the camera within 5 feet and widen out the zoom, you might be within 3 feet and keep the lens at the same zoom. It's hard to tell as there are a number of factors that comeinto play and they're all variable.
You might just need to play around with the camera to get the look you want before you shoot for the money.
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Don. This footage definitely appears to be DSLR...correct? I will try your suggestions.

Troy
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Davis View Post
Thanks Don. This footage definitely appears to be DSLR...correct? I will try your suggestions.

Troy
Hard to say. It might very well be but it could have also been shot on pretty much any 1/3 inch or larger camera. Even if it was shot on a DSLR then the next question has to be which lens was used and how was it set? Too many variable to guess.
Have fun trying the different ways to shoot it.
Old March 28th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Trustee

Hey Troy, if you want to really have some fun, pick up a RedRock M2 Adapter for cheap and pop a $50 Nikon 50mm E lens on it. The HMC150 is a perfect complement for it.

I saw a great deal on the forum a few day ago and almost picked it up myself. Check it out! http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-...-m2-flipx.html

Here's one I did with a similar adapter: https://vimeo.com/5321769

For interviews where you take the time to light, it can be just the trick to get the depth you want, and then just go "naked" with the HMC150 for the b-roll. Can you tell I miss my adapter? :)
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I would say that was a one camera shoot.

Looking at how the blacks are crushed and the DOF I bet it was shot with a Canon 5d.
Old March 29th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Major Player

not shot on an hmc 150
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders