DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   AG-AF100 and Nikkor Dx zooms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/509790-ag-af100-nikkor-dx-zooms.html)

Geoff Jak August 4th, 2012 07:53 PM

AG-AF100 and Nikkor Dx zooms

I am interested in the AG-AF100 camera and have Nikkor zooms - an 18-70 3.5/5.6 Dx ED and an older 70-300 G zoom. Just wondering what the crop factor is for these lenses and you opinion of how well they will work.

Another Q - this camera has been out about 2 years now. IS it still regarded well or have other camera's in the price range (I can get one for Aus3300 out of NZ). Thx

A. J. deLange August 6th, 2012 03:46 PM

Re: AG-AF100 and Nikkor Dx zooms

I use the 18-70 (not DX) with the AG-AF100 frequently with good results. The main difficulty with these lenses is that they are not parfocal i.e. the focus changes somewhat with the focal length. This doesn't matter in a still camera as the auto focus just follows it when the shutter release is pressed. On the AG-AF100 this obviously does not take place. The bottom line is that you cannot zoom during a shot. The image will be out of focus for part of the zoom. The crop factor for this lens set to a particular focal length is the same as for any other lens of that focal length - it depends on the sensor size, not the lens. I think the DX lenses will cover this sensor but I would certainly want to confirm that if I intended buying the camera for use with those.

As for the more general question: it's a good camera with a couple of exceptions. The fact that the viewfinder does not have a pixel for pixel mode makes it difficult to focus. An external monitor/EVF that does is practically a necessity. The other major fault I see is that it is noisy. You really don't want to use it at ASA settings above 200.

Geoff Jak August 6th, 2012 07:34 PM

Great points AJ.

I have seen a graph that shows the Micro 4/3 is considerably smaller than the APS-C format of Nikon Dx, Sony and Pentax which shows my Dx at 18mm will look more like a 28mm coverage (Im guessing). But I would like to know from anyone who is using the Dx format what theire experience has been\.

Good point you make AJ about the focus issue when zooming. In Cine and video lenses it's called collimated lenses, meaning the focus holds all through the zoom but its fair enough that the stills lenses dont - a compromise we make.

Also intersting about the noise - yuk!...not into noise at all unless it is mild, but if very noticeable at say 800 under night, dark conditions, this is bad news. What about the Sony NEX-FS100. How does that stack up against the Pana? The price is close.

A. J. deLange August 7th, 2012 06:14 AM

Can't help with the FS100 as I know nothing about it. There is another thread here where someone claims 3 stops (9 dB) better noise performance but as neither manufacturer, to my knowledge, publishes SNR data I can't really say. OTOH, one of the reviews of the FS100 shows it with a DX lens mounted. If a DX lens will cover the s35 sensor it will cover the m4/3 sensor so that answers that question. While on the subject of sensor size: calling the s35 sensor 50% bigger in area (and I think it's something like that) would only explain 1.7 dB SNR improvement so I'm a little skeptical that the FS100 is 9 dB better.

As to the differences between SLR and cine lenses: parfocality, freedom from breathing, smooth focus and zoom rings with long throw, thermal stability, constant aperture... these all help explain why cine lenses are so, so much more expensive than SLR lenses.

Alan Ortiz August 13th, 2012 09:04 AM

Geoff- The AF100 will accept any lens with the appropriate lens adapter. The AF has a crop factor of 2 - So the AF will "see" 36mm- 140mm using your 18-70 DX zoom. The DX lens is built for a larger image circle (APS-C) than the micro 4/3rds - so yes your DX will work on the AF.

The FS100 has a finer noise pattern with slightly better resolution than the AF. It is also a low light champ and leagues better than many other cameras in regards to its light gathering abilities.

When comparing against the AF however the FS100 ergonomics, build quality (feels cheaply made), lack of onboard ND and no variable frame rates must be considered.

The AF100 is king in daylight. Personal preference but I adore panasonic colorimetry and found the camera easy to use.