First Look, Panasonic AG-AC90 at DV Expo - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old January 30th, 2013, 03:16 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: First Look, Panasonic AG-AC90 at DV Expo

Phil,

Sandisk SDHCs are on Amazon UK for £23 or so for 32GB. You can save your pennies.

You can use your Rode mic with an XLR converter. It won't be a balanced mic (so it may be prone to interference in some circumstances), but it'll work. I can't see camera mounting your Zoom giving any advantage over using the camera's internal stereo mic.

You'd be better putting the zoom somewhere near your interviewees and using it as a second audio source, evven better if you put a lav mic on it for their voice.

It's a good, basic camera that will probably do everything you need for interviews.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
the suppliers website has 32gb SDHC cards at £135 which seems a little expensive to me?
30mbs class 10 sdhc cards are fast enough for your camera, I bhought a sandisc 64gb sdxc card (30mbs for under 100 euro) for my sony nex ea50 and it has worked fine so far. The cards you mention are probably 95mbs which is overkill.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 03:25 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Noa/Mic, thanks..

yes you're right they are 95 mbs. I will look for some 30mbs class 10 sdhc cards or the 64gb sdxc card

Should I look at an alternative shotgun mic? For interviews i have a rode lavalier altho I was looking at the Sennheiser EW 112-P G3-Gb to keep me wire free.

Should I invest in a camera mounted LED light for this camcorder or maybe a lighting kit for my interviews?

P
Phil Gadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #34
Trustee

Phil, do you need wireless?

Maybe this is a question (or a search) for the Audio forum instead. I would maybe try the Rode lav mic (and maybe an extension cable) wired in to the AC90 for simplicity, or plugged into the Zoom if you don't mind synching in post and not being able to monitor audio (eek!).

An on-camera shotgun is no good at all for interviews. If you're just doing interviews, I would save my pennies and use your existing lav. Only go wireless if you have longer distances to cover or if it is a real problem.
Old January 30th, 2013, 04:14 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike

You're right, am unsure. I have just posted a thread on the audio forum as you have suggested.

The last time I did an indoor interview I went directly into the zoom and sync'd the audio in post edit, hopefully the other thread will help with this.

Is it wise to get any filters or additonal batteries for this camera Mike?
Old January 30th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #36
Trustee

Phil,

You may need an ND filter for the AC90 if you are shooting outdoors in bright sunlight. If you are shooting anywhere where you might get dust, grit or water on the lens, you may want to consider a clear UV filter as well.

Some people swear by the clear filters, some swear at them... I always use one on my cameras, with the logic that I'd rather replace a £60 filter than get the built-in lens repaired. The risk is slight degrading of picture quality and possible flaring under certain lighting conditions. Get a quality filter, such as B+W, if you go down this route.

Batteries: yes. The supplied battery will probably not run for very long (an hour or two) so plan on at least one high capacity battery to go along with it, that will probably last all day. You can test it yourself and see how long it runs for before deciding whether to buy more or not.

Mains power can be problematic in some cameras, as it can induce hum or interference in the audio, so it's best not to rely on it.
Old January 30th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike, invaluable advice there.

Think I am going to go with the camera, 4 or 8hr battery, 2 x 32gb (or 1 x 64) card, Filter kit and case.

Hopefully will let you know how i get on :-)
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Hi Phil

I just rewired my Rodes for XLR ...if you are handy with a soldering iron it's just a matter of some new cable (the twisty cable is a pain anyway) and a male XLR plug..the mic is simple to pull apart and all you do is unsolder the existing 3 connections and solder in the new cable. You need a cable with two conductors and a screen ...Also easy to put the Videomic back together again...If soldering makes you nervous find a friend who can do it.

You can get mini jack to XLR adapters too but I would only use those until you have a proper cable from the mic to the XLR plug ..it will work fine as a temporary solution

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Hi Chris

I am completely useless at soldering but what a great idea :-)

Im trying to find examples of where the ac90 has been used in an interview type scenario, dont suppose you know of any?
Old January 31st, 2013, 03:03 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Hi Phil

Do a YouTube search for "Panasonic AC-90" and you will find quite a few clips that might give you a better idea of what to expect.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 04:44 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris

Had a look, not too many reviews out there just yet.. looked at some pro's and cons etc.. All in all, whilst I would love the ac160, I think I could certainly capture everything I need for a while (hoping capturing live bands and the odd wedding will help pay for the ac160)
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #42
Regular Crew

ordered my ac-90 on saturday morning, quoted 2 week delivery, phoned up today and they are saying end of feb/begin of march..

can't be right that surely?
Old February 8th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #43
Regular Crew

is this really an Ac90 as the film shots are very impressive??

Old February 8th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #44
Trustee

I would guess so... seeing as it's an official Panasonic video. I'm not sure if they've colour graded that or not, but it is a very capable camera when handled properly.
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #45
Inner Circle

I"m sure it's the ac90 but they where smart when to film with it, as you notice most of the video is shot with a overcast sky so the camera doesn't have to deal with extreme highlights and or shadows.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders