First Look, Panasonic AG-AC90 at DV Expo - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old February 9th, 2013, 03:25 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Re: First Look, Panasonic AG-AC90 at DV Expo

ahh i never noticed that to be fair, this video seems to look well in bright sunlight

Phil Gadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 03:31 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Any small sensor camera will have a hard time dealing with harsh highlights, I think for the price and controls the camera has and it's performance it's about the best you can get at this moment. Like Barry stated it had one of the sharpest image he had ever seen, you only need to be sure you are the right f-stop for the best performance.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 04:25 AM   #48
Trustee

Absolutely.. at £1300 UK, it's unbeatable. The competition at that price is the Sony NX30E and the Canon XA10... the Panasonic gives a lot of bang for the buck.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 03:30 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Interesting video tips for the ac90

Last edited by Phil Gadd; February 24th, 2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #50
Regular Crew

I'm looking all over for the Barry Green's review of the AC90. I've seen this reference; "Barry Green Panasonic AC90 DV Expo" and also what I posted below, grabbed off of another site. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Steve

"It's intended to sound impressive while ignoring that fact that they're (HD Magazine) dead wrong about the results they got -- if they truly understood what they were saying, they would have made a much more responsible statement in their review. To just say the AC90 has "poor resolution" is so wrong that it's absurd. The proper statement should have read something like:
The AC90 is impressively sharp. Incredibly sharp, and in fact sharper than many other cameras we have tested that have much higher price tags. However, those results only come with apertures that are relatively wide open. All sensors are subject to their imaging softening up due to diffraction, but because of the small sensors and how many pixels are crammed onto those sensors, the AC90's diffraction limit happens quite early in the iris range. Any iris deeper than f/2.8 can show softening of the image due to diffraction; the red channel starts to be impacted by about f/2.8. Panasonic has worked around this by creating an integrated ND filter that keeps the iris in the "sweet spot" much longer than you would otherwise expect; because of the way the ND filter works, the physical iris actually stays in the sweet spot up until the iris gauge reads f/6.4. So we can report that you will have crystal clear images and razor sharp resolution at any iris between wide open (f/1.5) and f/6.4. And even then, diffraction will be of minimal impact to the image up to about f/8.0. We don't recommend using irises deeper than f/8.0, but you should get sharp images at f/8, and crystal-clear razor sharp images anywhere from f/6.4 up to f/1.5."

That would have been a responsible, informative, and useful description. Saying it has "poor resolution" is just irresponsible and factually inaccurate." Barry Green - DVXuser.com
Stephen Crye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #51
Regular Crew

I have just been looking at barry greens blog, us UK customers and most european ones dont get the book that is FREE with the ac90 when bought in the states (barry greens ac90) You cant get this online via PDF either

His vimeo channel has some extra videos on there

However there are videos appearing on a weekly basis

PS cant wait for mine to arrive (eventually)
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:26 AM   #52
Trustee

I bought my AC130 book through Amazon.com. It's not cheap, but it's worth it.

A few years ago, I got the HMC book in the box when I bought my HMC41. It all depends what the current offer is. I think Holdan at the minute give you 25% off the book and other accessories when you buy the camera, but then their price is £400 more than CVP etc.!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:42 AM   #53
Regular Crew

yeah I noticed the price difference Mike.

I have checked amazon.com but its out of stock.. i could probably order the book direct from barry green i suppose
Phil Gadd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders