Lumix 12-35mm on the AF100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old October 12th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #1
Trustee

Lumix 12-35mm on the AF100

So I just got a Lumix 12-35mm Lens in the mail - on loan for a few days. I put it on the AF100 for the first time and giggled a bit when I realized that I had full iris control (auto too), image stabilization and auto focus. I mean, I knew that the lens had these features, but to actually use them is something else entirely! Construction is really nice as reported and the focus and zoom rings are silky smooth with good damping. I dare say you could even do a smooth zoom with it.

Looking forward to using it this weekend, but I wanted to put this post up early just in case anyone had any special requests or questions since I have the lens in hand. Just let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
Lumix 12-35mm on the AF100-12-35mm.jpg  
Old October 13th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Lumix 12-35mm on the AF100

I love this lens... bought it early from DigitalRev and don't feel cheated that I paid more than it's selling for locally now. Auto features are right quick and the OIS works splendidly.

Only minor gripes I have are the limited range and small size... small size not always being a bad thing, but in terms of dimension and ergonomic useability I'm still preferring my old Leica D 14-50 on the AF (even if it's only "constant" at f3.5, is noisy, breathes, marginal OIS, and has auto nothing).

The 12-35 practically lives on my GH2, though... with ETC in reasonable light, it's like having a 12-90/2.8 (with OIS) that's barely larger than the PL25/1.4
Old October 13th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #3
New Boot

May be a really silly question but here it is.... Can you use the zoom as you would use expanded focus?
I am getting this cam and lens this week. What would be the difference in getting the same lens but the 35-100mm instead.

I primarily do live music with backstage impromptu interviews. I love the functions and cool form factor of this cam way over the FS100, not to mention the nd's.....
Preston Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Really simple answer: Yes.

Complicating the answer, the 12-35 is parfocal... electronically so, but it is. The 35-100 hasn't been released of course, but is supposed to work in a similar manner.

Have you already ordered the AF vs. the FS? In your particular use, I'd think the greater low-light sensitivity might trump the in-camera ND's, but of course you've probably researched all that.
Old October 13th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #5
New Boot

I have researched... maybe too much! I find it pretty hard to get over the top mount monitor on the Fs as I have had to tripod over crowds at shows. Plus it looks to be less ergonomically at home run and gun.

It seems from reading these posts that AF users have found settings to improve the low light performance a bit... maybe I am reading in what I want to hear? Is the AF that inferior in low light?

It is a hard decision; form factor and function vs. low light performance....
Old October 14th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Trustee

Well, just got back from the wedding last night that I used the 12-35mm for and took a look at the footage. I'm impressed - the little lens is super sharp and the IS worked a treat.

The 12-35mm is a nice focal length for the unexpected "run-n-gun" situations, and things like stand up interviews, though I did reach for a longer lens to get my detail shots and close ups. I felt like I needed to get closer than 35mm sometimes to add a bit more drama. Preston, if you're looking for something to go backstage with, I think the 12-35mm would suit you best, however event shots of a show would benefit more form a lens like the 35-100 (or a 70-200mm depending on your distance).

I shot quite a bit with 1600 ISO last night and the results were great with the AF100. I was always scared to go higher than 800 with my old Canon 7D due to noise, but the AF does a better job. The F2.8 on the 12-35mm was good, though it was a very dark venue so I reached for my 30mm F1.4 and 85mm F1.8 by the end of the night. Overall the Lumix is very nice, but its more of an additional lens – I wouldn't trade it for my primes.

Preston – the AF100 is so cheap now, there's no reason why you shouldn't buy one (used of course) and see how you like it. The form factor is wonderful and the NDs are helpful. Try it out for a couple of projects and if it doesn't do it for you, sell it off and get something else. I will say that picture profiles make a huge difference for the camera, so they're important to read up on. Don't let me make your decision, but if the difference is getting the shot (form factor/function), it's a no brainer. Use that $2K you save over the FS100 on a couple nice lenses (the Rokinon Cine primes look nice) that you can use on anything now and in the future.
Old October 14th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks for the input Nate. This is my first venture into an interchangeable lens cam, sold my hmc 150 that a used for shows and interviews. I am hoping the 12/35 will be a good starting point: so very much to learn!
Thanks again...
Old October 15th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #8
Trustee

Cool, from the HMC you'll be right at home with the layout and form factor of the AF100 - I'm pretty sure it even has the same batteries. If you've ever shot with a DSLR or other large sensor camera, you know that the difference in light gathering ability and picture quality is night and day. While the HMC150 can be the right camera for the job in certain situations, I'm sure you'll appreciate what the new camera has to offer.

Please post back if you have any questions about your new cam, myself and others on the forum are more than happy to offer any tips or advice you might need.
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks! af100 and gear are on the way...
Preston Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders