Should I upgrade to AVCHD? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old October 17th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Should I upgrade to AVCHD?

Ah yes, I forgot about the new AC90 - could be a very nice option! From what I've seen the OIS is amazing and the backlit MOS chips, though smaller, are of a new design and are much more sensitive. I also love the LCD screen design on the top handle versus on the body.

Henry, you're in New York, why don't you take a day trip down to B&H down in NYC to try things out once the AC90 comes out? Then you'll know exactly what you're getting, most importantly concerning the handycams.

One other thing, the CX260 don't have the top of the line 1/3" Exmor sensor, it's just a touch smaller - but I don't want to sound like a broken record about sensors! How much it matters depends on your usage. On that note, I've never used them, but Panasonic also makes some higher end handycams like the V700, or the X800 or X900 that has 3 separate chips like the AC90. You don't hear as much about them, but staying all one brand might make things easier when matching angles in post.
Old October 17th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Very True Nate!!

I'm a BIG fan of trying stuff first ..Heck, If I lived in NY I would make a day of it and do some serious looking!! I don't think the AC-90 will be in stock until the 30th October so wait until early next month.

Yes Henry, the 90 has a lot better features than the AC-7 but as Nate says it depends what you are filming. My buddy Chip in Green Bay has just bought an X900 ... Bottom line is that it's all about personal taste, feel and which camera grabs your attention.

If you have the opportunity so try them all out!! You make find the AC-7 is too bulky for you or like me, find that the X900 is just too dinky in your hands.... a physical "feel" beats a page of specs any day of the week!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hey Thanks to all of you for your advice, I could not have gotten to this place without it.

My wife hates it whenever I go to B&H, it's her greatest fear. That's why she controls the checkbook. LOL

Tentative decision:
If the AC 90 wins me over (which I hope it does), I'll get a pair. Then take my time looking for a $500 or $600 handycam (which is usually locked off wide and used least).

Again, Thank you.
Henry Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Henry

Look forward to your comments about the AC-90 ... I will probably get one just for ny stedicam (it's lighter) but I still wouldn't part with my HMC80's ..love them much too much!!

BTW: Don't forget to grab yourself a GoPro Hero ...clipped onto a lightstand it's the most useful camera you can use and gets you out of all sorts of trouble!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #20
Major Player

I would have to agree that the new Panny AC90 looks like the best bet too replace your Sony's. I have always had great luck with Panasonic, and am sure you would too.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders