Panasonic AC 90 what am I doing wrong? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old February 4th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #1
New Boot

Panasonic AC 90 what am I doing wrong?

I must be missing something...I see all this great footage from the AC90; but mine never looks that good.
That clean and sharp.
I know it's something I am doing wrong.

What settings are you using? What scene file are you using?
I am still learning the camera and any advise will help.

Thanks
Steve Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Panasonic AC 90 what am I doing wrong?

Hi Steve

It might be best if you post what settings your using and maybe someone can help. I really an't imagine the 90 shooting bad footage at all....in good lighting at least. You are shooting 1080 right?
Old May 18th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Steve, did you ever find out how to fix the problem? I have the same problem with my AC 90. The video just do not look clean at all. Almost a little blurry

Gary
Gary Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

When your video is blurry, what is the f-stop at that particular moment?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I think the first thing I would do is shoot just a short clip in the back garden in FULL AUTO and let the camera decide what exposure and focus to use. Play the clip back on your computer without modifying it at all (VLC media player plays MTS files directly from the card) and see if there is an issue? If it's still blurry then you have a lens issue so get the camera back to your dealer ..By shooting in auto you at least can make sure the camera has no mechanical issues and you know that you haven't added any human error to the mix.

Noa? I doubt if there would be any DOF issues on the camera as it has tiny 1/5th chips and the iris limits to around F5.6 as it has integrated ND filters to avoid any degradation of the image.

I have seen a couple of complaints about lens issues on the AC series ... they stopped using the stunning Leica lenses after the HMC series and these are just labelled as "Panasonic" ... the focus barrel scale and internal readout also has a few issues (like reading 24' when the focus is infinity) that's why I suggested a full auto test.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 03:45 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stryker View Post
I must be missing something...I see all this great footage from the AC90; but mine never looks that good.
That clean and sharp.
I know it's something I am doing wrong.

What settings are you using? What scene file are you using?
I am still learning the camera and any advise will help.

Thanks
the AC90 is soft if left at the standard settings. , for example in vegas just adjust the sharpness (just that) and look what a difference. Play with the details in the camera but frankly I'd rather do it in post .
So you are right: the AC90 is one of the most conservative cameras Ive ever seen. It just needs sharpness and contrast. not even levels, just sharpness mostly.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 04:07 AM   #7
Inner Circle

When Barry Green @ dvxuser tested the camera he said it produced one of the sharpest images he had seen, a lack of sharpness in smaller sensor camera's is often a wrong f-stop which is causing diffraction and a resulting blurry image, therefore it's very important to try to keep the f-stop at the camera's 'sweet spot". Especially avoid closing down the Iris too much, use the nd filter when needed and even add a additional nd filter for very bright sunny conditions.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 07:29 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

I have an idea that the AC-90 has a face smoothing preset on it as well and if it's set on, the image goes quite soft indeed. Might be worthwhile to check that it's off! It also has quite aggressive smoothing at high gain values ..it has been noted that hair on people's heads often looks "spray painted" if you allow the gain to run too high! That also could be seen as "soft"

Yeo you are also right about the ND's not coping ..Barry Green has mentioned that an ND on the front to help the integrated ND's in bright sun is essential too! I know on my HMC cameras I never allowed the iris stopped down any further than F5.6 ....with the tiny sensors you will get degradation from F8 onwards and the built in ND's might allow the aperture to get there if the light is bright!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #9
Trustee

Turn detail coring to -7
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders