DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   AC130/160 Clip - Swedish Institute (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/514583-ac130-160-clip-swedish-institute.html)

Nate Haustein February 25th, 2013 06:04 PM

AC130/160 Clip - Swedish Institute

Shot this a little while back with the 130/160. I thought it showed the quality of the newer Pannys pretty well for anyone who was interested.

Bo Sundvall February 26th, 2013 01:41 PM

Re: AC130/160 Clip - Swedish Institute

Hi

Really impressive shots showing what the 130/160 is capable of. Rellay bice to see the dynamic range of the camcorder.

As I'm from sweden, it was also nice to see the video, even if everything in it wasn't really from our culture.

Regards,

/Bo

Dave Rochelle March 13th, 2013 03:50 PM

Nice Nate! If possible, would you mind sharing your scene file settings and what (if anything) you did with grading/correction in post?

Greg Clark March 13th, 2013 03:54 PM

Too bad I can't view it on my cheap ipad.

Nate Haustein March 13th, 2013 11:52 PM

Hi guys, settings were pretty basic. I don't remember exactly but the gamma was definitely HD Norm and the matrix was definitely Norm2. No DRS. Knee set to low. Master ped was maybe -2 or -3, sharpness set to 0 along wih the rest of the settings. I think I might have backed off color on camera a few clicks to minimize yellow blown highlights. Then just blasted the saturation and of course added a vignette in post!

Sorry you can't view the video on this page Greg. Tap on the video title and it should take you to the Vimeo page directly where HYML5 works.

Greg Clark March 14th, 2013 07:13 AM

Got it Nate thanks.
This camera in the "A" version looks like an alternative to my XH-A1 at a reasonable price point.
Anyone that has worked with the A1 and the AC130 I would appreciate your comparison.

Nate Haustein March 14th, 2013 11:19 PM

I owned both actually. It's hard to beat the XH-A1. A fantastic lens really makes that camera look great. After the XH, I owned a HMC-150, which I think was a step down from the Canon in image quality, but the tape less workflow made up for it. Looking back at the videos I did with the XH, experience aside, they simply can't compare with the work I'm doing now with the Pannys. The 130 is a nice camera and the A adds a few nice features as well. I like my 160 even more for the 1080p60 and SDI output. The autofocus isn't the greatest, especially compared to the XH, but the cams can put out a nice image with properly tweaked scene file settings. They're not the prettiest right out if the box.

It's hard to recommend anything with NAB right around the corner, but have you also looked at the XF300? The right used deal or saleight make the cam a possibility for you. It has a slightly higher quality codec, better auto focus and in my opinion, a higher quality lens. Plus your batteries would all fit I think. Not saying Pannys aren't up to the job, but there are other options out there if you wanted to stay in the Canon camp. Pretty much any model will give great images if you know how to use it.

Steve Struthers March 27th, 2013 03:49 PM

Nice footage.

If the gods are kind, and the winds are blowing in my favour, an AC130 might be finding its way into my home in the fairly near future. I was in a local farmers' market earlier today and saw a guy shooting video with what looked like an AC130/160. So I walked up to the guy with the camcorder, and sure enough, it was an AC160. I've seen lots of pictures of the AC-130 and 160, but have never seen one up close. It's a pretty substantial looking piece of kit.

Nate Haustein March 27th, 2013 04:59 PM

It's big. Like 1.5x bigger than most past generation prosumer cams like the XHA1 or Z1U.

Mike Beckett March 27th, 2013 05:05 PM

It is a massive camera. But I find it easy to hand hold, despite my initial worries. I did 4 hours handheld with my new AC130 last weekend and it wasn't a problem at all for me.

Greg Clark March 28th, 2013 09:12 AM

I was hoping a new camera would come from NAB in the 1\2 inch variety.

Alan Angel June 17th, 2013 06:33 AM

The sound is very impressive, did you get a lead from the mixer or did you have a sound man, no way that could be just the cam mic? or is it?