NEW 2 HD - codec/workflow questions - new hmc151 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old February 27th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #1
New Boot

NEW 2 HD - codec/workflow questions - new hmc151

I just got a HMC-151E used yesterday. Cost was 2350euro - 114hrs used -1small 1big battery with all acessories totally unscratched (well it looks like it , hopefully it really is so internally)

Current workflow with dvx100b was:

1.Capture with Vegas/Pinnacle
2.Make the intro of the dvd on after-effects + export 2 uncompressed avi . (Using 3-4 x 10sec clips from footage on it , a total of ~1-1.5 min)
3.Import to pinnacle and continue with adding footage and music and transitions until b4 pple enter the church , and export 2 uncompressed avi
4.Import to Vegas and re-render uncompressed last file with alpha animation company logo over (until pple start showing up/png sequence made in blender)
5.Import back to pinnacle ,add rest of footage with fade transition on most of it , export as single movie to dvd. I dont do menus atm.

I do have read that it is difficult handling the avchd codec for editing. In pinnacle i just took the files from the "stream" folder and it seemed to work , did i miss something ? I shouldnt have a problem with my programs should i ,in 2013 (with long shootings)? The programs r vegas 12-64bit , pinnacle studio 15 , after effects cs 5.5/6
for win7x64 , and pinnacle9 for xp x32
I did see a lot of posts for macs using search (searched hmc-151) but i think that was all. a mention of avchd2hq or something in 2-3 posts but not much info ?
even with a hack os x to try fcp , i dont think i could save from complexity ,right ?

Anyway,this is my most important question:

What is the best quality codec i should use for editing ? AVCHD2HQ(spelling?) i read in some posts some pple use it but is it the best ? Time is not an issue ,i'll just leave it overnight if i have to. x264 is lower quality than avchd2hq yes ?

thanx in advance.

Main PC - 400x7@2.8ghz - qx6700 - asus maximus gene ii - ahci - [ancient] nvidia 7300le - 2x2gb 800 kingston ram (1:1) , win 7x64 / xp pro x32

Home(kinda..) PC - 400x7@2.8ghz - qx6700 - ga-ep45-ud3r - ahci - eah5770 - 2x2gb 1066kingston ram (running at 800 1:1 for less stress) - win7x64 / xp home x32 / Ubuntu Studio 12

I use the same editing programs on both.

Is there anything i should consider to accompany it besides a shotgun mic ?
Looking for a monopod or something, cant find something that i like so far seen a lot on sites like adorama,etc.
Yorwos Paschalidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: NEW 2 HD - codec/workflow questions - new hmc151

or P2 DVCProHD maybe ? H.264/AVC ? (mainconcept)
Yorwos Paschalidis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders