AF100 for Stage Events at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old March 28th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AF100 for Stage Events

Would it be a mistake to try and turn a couple AF100's into a multi-camera (2 cams), stage event configuration? The end product would be standard def DVD's so I'm wondering if a setup like this using old Fujinon or Canon ENG lenses.

A guy on eBay is selling these lenses with adapters for m4/3 cameras and he also sells a cable and rechargeable battery that you can see hanging from a bag between the tripod legs in the picture below.

Is there a DC Out on the AF100, like ENG cameras have? If so, maybe a cable could be made to power the zoom lens from the camera (which I would of course power via A/C).

This is the kind of work I'm talking about:
(keep in mind this is standard def). I'm used to using tripod mounted, cable actuated focus and power zoom controls.

The reason for my interest in this camera would be that I could then use the AF100's on commercial and even wedding shoots using all my beautiful GH3 lenses and even combining an AF100 and GH3 on certain shoots.
Attached Thumbnails
AF100 for Stage Events-fuji18x008.jpg  
Geoffrey Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: AF100 for Stage Events

The best ENG lenses are designed for 2/3" sensor and they tend to be expensive.
The GH3 has the ETC mode that can use that size lens but you lose some image quality,
and there is no ETC on the AF100.

Is servo zoom and focus all that important?
Seems like a zoom lever and follow focus will do the job nicely.

You might consider a speedbooster to increase the low light capability of the GH3 mft lenses.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 07:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

"Seems like a zoom lever and follow focus will do the job nicely."

Yes, that sounds like a simpler solution although that would be more fatiguing shooting that way for many hours - at least if constant focus adjust was necessary.

So, I believe my ENG lens is "14X." How does that translate to millimeters for a 2X crop sensor? In other words, what zoom range would I be looking for roughly? Are there many powered zoom lenses available?

I really appreciate helping me think this through.
Old March 29th, 2014, 07:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The 14X is just the range of the lens.
It should tell you what the starting focal distance is.
For example 14X9 lens would be a 9-126mm
So that would still be the 2X for your MFT 18-252mm
The problem is the image circle. Even an expensive
2/3" ENG lens is going to vignette on an MFT sensor.
Some ENG lens have a 2X doubler built in that will
allow less vignetting.
B4 to MFT adapters are not cheap, BTW.

And while your zoom may be powered, both your
zoom and focus are going to be manual anyway
since the lens is not going to talk to the camera;
so I doubt if you are going to reduce any fatigue
(which I doubt is a factor anyway).
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 12:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

"since the lens is not going to talk to the camera; so I doubt if you are going to reduce any fatigue (which I doubt is a factor anyway)"
--------
My current manual focus and zoom controls are on the tripod arms. Lifting the left arm way up to the front of the camera to focus using a follow-focus would indeed be much more tiring after several hours.
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Geoffrey,

Have you considered these lenses from panasonic? I'm pretty sure you can control them from a lanc device.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818956-REG/Panasonic_H_PS45175K_Lumix_G_X_Vario.htmlhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818962-REG/Panasonic_H_PS14042S_Lumix_G_X_Vario.html
Salvatore Privitera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:18 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Sweet. Thanks, I'll check them out.

AF 100's are going pretty darn cheap on eBay these days. If I can figure out a way to do my stage work with them, I'll pick a couple up and then they can provide double duty with wedding work.
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

And here they are in action: Panasonic Servo Zoom Lenses and Wireless WiFi Image App - YouTube
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:54 AM   #9
Slash Rules!

I have wondered about this cam for this type of work since I am just as likely to be shooting a lecture/presentation as a talking head interview or running around getting b-roll. I would want a powered lens as well since I'm used to that kind of control.

What is the reality of dealing with the shallow DOF in these situations? I've only ever shot, in terms of the large sensor cams, with the 5DM2/3 and C100. . .I think AF is smaller sensor than either of those?

What about the fact that those powered lenses only open to 4? Isn't this cam fairly noisy to begin with, and if you had to gain/ISO up to compensate. . .?

Curious about folks' real world experiences with this kinda stuff.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders