Blu-ray player that will play back my dvd's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old August 22nd, 2014, 10:21 AM   #1
New Boot

Blu-ray player that will play back my dvd's

I have a AG-HMC-150 Panasonic camera. At home, I have a Samsung Blu-ray player that plays my recorded DVD's back just fine. I went to buy another DVD player and my DVD will not work in them. I have tried a Panasonic and a Samsung.
Any ideas as to what the problem could be?
Steve Longhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 10:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Blu-ray player that will play back my dvd's

Hi Steve,

How did you create the DVDs - DVD authoring software or stand-alone recorder? Brand of media used? Single or dual-layer?

ALL properly made DVD-R or DVD+R discs ought to work on ALL modern DVD and Blu-ray players. Many years ago in the early days of DVD burning, there were some compatibility issues with some players, but I haven't seen an issue in forever and I deliver many hundreds of DVDs to clients every year.

I've never used DL discs myself, but have heard of some compatibility issues with those, but never 4.7GB discs these days.

There's either a problem in the authoring/burning process, or the media is flaky if you can't play a disc.

Thanks
Old August 22nd, 2014, 12:20 PM   #3
New Boot

Sothink HD Movie Maker is the software. Optical Quantum dvd's 25GB.

I have been using this combo for 2 years now with no problems. Again, this disc works fine in my Samsung at home (2 years old) and the disc plays fine on my computer. Just won't work on a new Samsung or Panasonic at Best Buy.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:04 PM   #4
New Boot

They are BD-R discs.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Ahhh...so you're making Blu-ray discs and not DVDs. Please be careful not to use the terms interchangeably, they are quite different.

So Blu-ray discs do not have the compatibility that DVDs enjoy these days. Could still have something to do with media or authoring methods, but it is not uncommon to have playback problems with Blu-ray, not guaranteed to work in all players.

Sometimes, a firmware update to the player will resolve the issue, but if these are NEW players then that's likely not the issue. Some players just don't like BD-R, so find one that works and purchase that one (if you have the ability to test at local showroom).

Thanks
Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:40 PM   #6
New Boot

Did a firmware update on a new Samsung, with no luck. In the past, Samsung's always worked.
Steve Longhi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders