TM900 External Monitor for recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old June 7th, 2016, 01:04 AM   #1
New Boot

TM900 External Monitor for recording

Hi,
Has anybody used an external monitor for recording with a Panasonic TM900 ?

It is not clear from the manual whether the HDMI port can be used for an external monitor while recording.

I am hoping that buying a 7" external monitor will let me see better detail while recording.

If anybody has experience with this, and any advice on buying/using an external monitor with the TM900, that would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Dave
Dave Brocklebank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 03:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: TM900 External Monitor for recording

HI Dave,

I'm pretty sure that the TM900 has basically the same electronics as the earlier 700/750/800 models. I use 3 of those for school shoots and run the USB out into a video mixer via the line inputs,,with live monitoring. I also use them with a 7" monitor that connects from camera USB to monitor line input while recording. I've never tried with the HDMI out though as I don't have a small HDMI monitor, so maybe not much help to you.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 08:57 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Roger,
I appreciate your reply on the similar models.

Looks like there is not much activity going on in this Forum ;-(

Best Wishes,
Dave
Dave Brocklebank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 07:19 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Dave,

Andy Wilkinson's gigantic 'The Panasonic TM900 Users Thread' is to be found under 'Panasonic HC Series Camcorders' at the top of the Panasonic listings - you may get a more answers there.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 07:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
... I also use them with a 7" monitor that connects from camera USB to monitor line input while recording....
Roger
May I ask what you use? I have a TM700 and it might be useful.
Brian Dollemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 09:10 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dollemore View Post
May I ask what you use? I have a TM700 and it might be useful.
Hi Brian,

Nothing sophisticates, but I have a couple of flat lcd screen 7" portable TVs that have a USB input and a line input. They can be switched between inputs to monitor two different cameras. They were extremely cheap and I have no idea what the tv reception is like as I have never tried them for that, but as a simple monitor they work well. They can be used with a mains adapter or 8 AA batteries. They are the sort of thing that you can also use with a car reversing camera.

The alternative of course is to use a pro monitor for at least 10x the price, which for me was pointless.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 03:03 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, Roger. Worth knowing.
Old June 15th, 2016, 07:39 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hey Brian

Just go onto ebay and look for " 7" TFT LCD monitor " There are tons there and they do help ...the ones used for car reversing cameras usually need 12 volts so you might need to buy a flat pack Li-Ion battery ..I found those under CCTV batteries ....Having the 7" screen is great indoors but they don't fare very well outside ..I even made a hood for mine using 4mm black foam board and just hot glued together but the screens still suffer from direct light. I honestly stopped using mine outside after a while!! However they are great for a dance recital in a theatre or a school play!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 08:26 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip, Chris. 'Just-in-case' info for possible future needs...
Old June 16th, 2016, 04:41 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hey Brian

If you have an issue with seeing the LCD (I have that all the time especially with my Nikons which have dioptre adjust on the EVF but the LCD I have to wear specs) get a Hoodman Loupe ...it goes over the LCD screen and has 3X magnification and dioptre adjustment too and a big eyecup ....makes the LCD into a giant EVF ....I had them on both my Panasonic AC-130's as the EVF's were tiny and useless for me ....it's a huge asset as you get older
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders