What should the upgrade to Sony NEX EA 50UH ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old December 7th, 2016, 06:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What should the upgrade to Sony NEX EA 50UH ?

Hi, basically we are small media agency, who do creative wedding short movies and events. Our team basically uses Canon 5D Mark IIIs for the wedding videos.

But for the traditional long videos, we use Sony NEX EA 50UH and Canon 5D Mark II mixture. Lately, Im not very happy with the output of Sony NEX EA 50UH.. With time, it has degraded and it seems the whole output is dead, subtle and contrast. Not sure, if the sensor has aged up or the lens. Its just I dont like it.

My budget is sub 2000 USD, and now Im looking to upgrade it to a better sensor professional video camera, which atleast shoots 4K and has a good sensor for low light.

Thats most important for me!

I found a great camera, Sony NX100, its 1080p output is superb, and price is just 1600 USD only, but sadly it doesnt do 4K.

So, can you guys suggest what to go for ?

Whats in the league ?

Also for my cinematic wedding gear part, I was thinking to get a 5D mark IV, but found out that canon is still using Motion-JPEG format for its video, means no improvement. So not looking to get Canon5 D mark IV anymore.

What should I get panasonic GH4 or Sony Alpha A7S II ?

But Is Panasonic and Sony going to come up with some serious upgraded model this NABSHOW 2017 ?
Shall I better wait for it ?
because, its been 3 years, GH4 and Alpha A7S has released.
Old December 7th, 2016, 06:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: What should the upgrade to Sony NEX EA 50UH ?

I had two EA-50's but changed back to Panasonic as I simply never liked the soft image and colours of the EA-50 However have you cleaned the sensor ...a wet clean? It's worth getting a swab and fluid kit from VDust !! The EA-50 sensor is totally unprotected and gets really dirty and even a hazy film over it It's amazing what a proper wet clean will do!!! You might be surprised!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2016, 06:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

No I havent, I just dont want to continue with that camera and looking to sell it.

Im looking for better picture now and sensitivity.

Sony NX100 - 1080p is such amazing, and its 1000$ less than 50UH.

Thats crazy weird.
Old December 7th, 2016, 06:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

BTW, how come a better sensor is generating such bad output ?

50UH is APC-C sensor size.
Whle NX100 is 1 inch sensor only.
Old December 7th, 2016, 07:02 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The nex-ea50 had a sensor that was not optimized for video, I have used it for a year but eventually also sold it but mainly because I underestimated it's size. I found the image quality not "that" bad but it was kinda soft and had moire and aliasing issues. Getting good color was also not that easy but that seems to be a problem most Sony camera's seem to be having lately.

If you plan on mixing canon 5D footage I would stay in the canon camp, they have a distinct look that will be not so easy to match with either sony or panasonic, have you considered the canon xc10? Now the xc15 has become available the xc10 sells at reduced price.

Quote:
But Is Panasonic and Sony going to come up with some serious upgraded model this NABSHOW 2017 ?
Shall I better wait for it ?
because, its been 3 years, GH4 and Alpha A7S has released.
The gh5 will be released next year.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2016, 07:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

But Canon 5D is using MOTION JPEG format for its video, which is really compressed.

Isn't h264 compression much better ?

I find Sony NX100 1080p is superb.
Old December 7th, 2016, 07:47 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I agree with Noa

Matching would be a lot easier if you stayed with Canon. If you want to do this then why not pop a post in the Canon forum for some suggestions or if you are leaning towards Sony do the same in the Sony forum.

I've shot on Panasonic for 25 years so I guess I'm biased and didn't like the "Sony look" but if you want to go to the Panasonic camp then the GH4 or 5 is a great camera ..however, for what it's worth, my advice would be to stay with Canon to make footage matching easier!!

Even the 5D III produces very acceptable footage even if you need to reset the time limit now and again.
Old December 7th, 2016, 07:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumendra Jena View Post
I find Sony NX100 1080p is superb.
Then it looks like you have found your camera :)
Old December 7th, 2016, 07:56 AM   #9
Regular Crew

yes NX100 is awesome, but looking for soemnthihg which shoots 4K too.
Old December 7th, 2016, 10:59 AM   #10
Trustee

First, I believe in matched cameras for any multicam shoot. I have no idea how some guys do things. They will discuss the nuances of "looks" all day long. But their kit is a mix of different camera models and even brands. Their lens selection can even cover multiple brands without a single match.. They put their faith in post processing or don't even bother with it. Yet here on the forum some are declared experts and pixel peepers.

I am not saying that is you Sumendra, but I believe I am making a valid point. If you have a preference for a particular look then you should be able to replicate it on multicam shoots as the others said. How have you been matching an EA50 and a 5D? That is a stretch at best. No offence, I don't know you or your work. I am just blunt sometimes and wondering about that result?

Sensors do not degrade over time. It is digital information, it ether works or it does not. Listen to Chris and clean it. Even though it is readily accessible it is not unprotected as Chris says. ALL sensors have a protective layer over them. You won't hurt it with a proper cleaning.

I shoot with two EA50s. Me, Chris, and Noa have been discussing them for three years. They know what they are talking about even though we sometimes disagree. I am the lone survivor still shooting with them. I have found the original 18-200mm kit lens to be soft and flat. That is where a problem is. I can not match it with my Canon "L" series glass (my main lens collection) or it rears its ugly head in comparison.

I am not defending the EA50. I am suggesting if your going to keep it for more shoots please do yourself a favor and clean that sensor. Have you given it the blue sky test? Do you shoot with your Canon glass or are using the stock servo? If it does have a problem there is lots of places to look before calling it degraded. But it sounds like you are done with it?

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old December 7th, 2016, 12:23 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I will take it to sony service center tomorrow and clean up the sensor.

but the weird thing is, its too flat and too noisy highlights video output :(
Old December 7th, 2016, 12:46 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Can you post a sample online that shows the problem?
Old December 7th, 2016, 12:47 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Okay I will shoot something tomorrow with ISO 100 day time and ISO800 indoor and post both raw files here.
Old December 7th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Maybe he means some PP settings give a flat image. I used to use PP3 for indoors and the picture is very lifeless and flat and always needed a lot of post work. Then if you used an outdoor profile there was absolutely no detail in the shadows ...I did a wedding once with no profile set (default) and the buttons on the suits simply disappears.

If you are going to do a test it's very important to decide on what profile you are going to use first!! Maybe do a short clip with a few profiles and also one with no profile selected ... I honestly struggled with the profiles and never found I could create one that worked for outside and inside but PP3 that was modified so the colour level was pushed 4 points up wasn't too bad.

Steve? The sensor is visually unprotected meaning it has no anti-aliasing filters over it ..I was just mentioning that fact to emphasise how easy it gets dirty. Yep I'm sure it has some sort of protection over the actual sensor which, of course, is what gets dirty ....There have been guys here who have complained about not just dust specks but an almost opaque film over the sensor in humid weather and the OP lives in India and it's hot and humid there!
Old December 7th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #15
Trustee

Hi Soumendra,

Comparison frame for you. Still grab. .jpg compresion adds contrast, softness, and looses pop and good feel.... Original video has both black and white detail in all but the most extreme places. Point of focus is the subject, mic grill and lens barrel are slightly soft due to DOF. F4, just right. The mic boom arm and the inside of the lens hood are the only blacks crushed on the original video. Skin tone is close but a little contrasty. It IS the light set up that brightens center of face intentionally.

Sony EA50U
1920x1080 30P @30
No profile, no correction
Lowel light with manual WB @ 3200
Sony 18-105MM Servo Zoom "G" at F4 (as sharp as my Canon Glass. Its the original 18-200mm that is soft)

It looses something in a still grab but it will give you something to see.

Edit: I am looking at both images. .jpg face is way contrasty, original forehead shot looks good.

Chris, Its the humidity, your right!!! I live in the desert, did not think about the humidity. Every time it has ever been fogged (if it has) it is going to leave a trace behind. Has this sensor ever been cleaned?

Kind Regards,

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
What should the upgrade to Sony NEX EA 50UH ?-still-grab-01.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders