MX500 edge enhance update at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old June 1st, 2003, 10:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MX500 edge enhance update

Hi guys,

just an update for those who may be interested;

we had our new MX500 into Panasonic for tape transport problems and for them to look at the edge enhancement and grain problems that we found objectionable in a 3 chip cam. After 5 weeks they have said that the transport issues are a problem but they can't track them down - so a replacement is the better option.

As far as the edge enhancement goes, they tested it against another new MX500 and an MX350 and concluded that the "image quality was within the specifications for that unit".

Which roughly translated means that's how the cam is, take it or leave it.

For us at least, that's the end of our association with this (otherwise) well featured little camera. Thanks again to all those who contributed to the past posts on the subject and best of luck with your own MX's.

best,

David.
David Warrilow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 02:17 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Thanks for the update. So what's next? (in way of a new cam).
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 04:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Frank,

Dunno. We're looking at the PDX-10 but any other unit with close to the features and functionality of the 500 is a good deal more expensive by about $2000 here in Oz. So I guess we'll just see how we go. I've been trawling the posts on this and other forums with regard to other cameras and I guess we'll bite the bullet and make a decision when the time comes.

Thanks for your contributions and moderation here Frank, this is an exceptional place for the exchange of opinions and ideas and has been very helpful.

Best regards,

David.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 07:38 AM   #4
Inner Circle

can i ask what your refering to with regard to "edge enhancement"

ive been using 2 MX's without a problem.. were talking non stop weddings 2 cams rolling from start to finish...

with regard to noise, i find dropping the detail down to under a notch or 2 from centre gives a nicer softer look with less noise...

im interested in hearin wha the original problem was...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 01:53 PM   #5
Outer Circle

I bumped up the original thread or click here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=8488

His main concern is the video quality of his 1 chip JVC DV3000 has better video quality (of his soldier men) than that from his Pana 3 chip MX500.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 05:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Um, no Frank.

My main concern was the high contrast fringing on the edges of the image from the MX-500 - on the soldier test pics and everything else we shot with it. It just so happens that the 1 chip DID make a better looking image with less grain and better colours under the same conditions - but it was never about a comparison between the two. It was simply about clarifying the performance of our brand new $3500 (AUS) camera because we bought the MX to REPLACE the DV3K. And again, it wasn't about 'running down' the MX - I think if they put 1/3" chips in that baby, with that lens and those features they could own the market. Alas, it all comes down to dollars - how much we'll pay and how much matsushita can make.

best,

DW.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 07:55 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Oops, that must have been another concern from another someone Down-Under somewhere. Sorry. I'll go re-read that entire thread to refresh my brain.

So you're the fellow who sent me those detailed pics? I was just looking at them yesterday.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant