Operating the GS100K - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 30th, 2003, 10:50 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Re: Whether wide angle filter helps producing wide angle

Will all these filters make sense?

UV filter
===
YES, LEAVE IT ALL THE TIME ON, AS IT PROTECTS YOUR LENS FROM DUST AND OTHERS...

flourescent filter
===
NOT FOR ME

Polarize filter
===
YES. VERY GOOD.

and

Wide Angle lens or filter?
===
WOW WOW WOW... GIMME GIMME GIMME :D

UV filter - IS this filter to protect the lens or just to take picture which reduces the bluish UV in the earth while taking the long or wide shot.
===
DEPENDS ON THE FILTERS HOW MUCH UV THEY DROP.

Wide Angle lens, covers more area than 16:9?
===
YES. MUCH MORE.

Any guys using any of these filters in gs 100k and certainly did it make any difference in quality of the stills or video?
===
I HAVE SO FAR: UV, skylight and ND(neutral density) 4x. ND is used for reducing the light that gets into the lenses. usefull when you shoot with shutter being very fast, it reduces a lot the strobo effect since less light gets in.
I'll get a circular polarizer very soon(B&W)

ciao,
marius
Marius Burz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 11:01 AM   #47
Major Player

Marius,
can you suggest which is the best UV filter, and where to get from, and the cheap and the best, i have to get one

or some reliable web sites good for these filters?
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 11:55 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Sam, I have no idea where you could buy some online, because I bought mine from a local store. What I have is Hoya UV multicoated. These are not the best, but good for the money, 14 Euro. Much better would have been B&W but that costs like 40 Euro, too much for my budget.

For a circular polarizer I will get B&W, that's about 55 Euro, but it's one of the best polfilter.

ciao,
marius
Old July 30th, 2003, 06:05 PM   #49
Regular Crew

In the US, you can buy a B+W multi-coated UV filter from www.bhphotovideo.com. B+W is the best.

If you want a wide angle, check out the Raynox HD-6600 Pro 43mm also from bhphotovideo. Raynox is here http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/video/egwidehdxl.htm. The key features of this lens are unusually low barrel distortion and it is zoomable. If you are shooting anamorphic it really opens up the scene.

Here is an excellent website comparing wide angle converters with actual frame grabs.

http://www.ferrario.com/ruether/WA-converters.htm
Eng Yew Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #50
Major Player

Thanks Marius and Eng Yew Lee

so Raynox costs around 120 bucks

b+w MRC uv filter around 36.50

Have to see my wallet!!!!
Old July 31st, 2003, 11:19 AM   #51
Major Player

Is Panasonic LW4307 Wide angle Lens, better than the Raynox HD-6600 Pro 43mm ?

Anybody got from PriceJapan?
Old July 31st, 2003, 05:08 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Sam, I am also interested about LW4307 and LW4307ME and what is the difference between the two.
The price I have seen here is 105 vs 140 Euro, and I was wondering what the diff could be.
For a Raynox... that's hard for me, since I can't find any 43mm version of the 6600Pro, and it also costs 170 Euro.
Old July 31st, 2003, 07:33 PM   #53
Major Player

Samuel, I just received the Panasonic wide angle through pricejapan. It cost $162 including shipping. It took a bit longer to obtain, according to pricejapan, because Panasonic doesn't put that many of its accessories out on the market. I can't speak to the usage issue, because I haven't shot any footage yet. I can say that it is unthreaded, which poses a problem for those planning to use filters (not a problem for me, as I am going with what I read somewhere about not using a filter - except possibly for special effects - if you are planning to film in low light conditions), and I think the lens cap is a laugh, because it's 1) soft plastic and 2) there isn't any way to attach it to the camera and therefore it's more likely to get lost in the shuffle.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 07:58 PM   #54
Major Player

Patricia, ITs too costly, I guess!

Soft plastic, which lens cap? cap for the wide angle or cap for the filter?

did u get only the wide angle lens from price japan separately?
Old July 31st, 2003, 10:28 PM   #55
Major Player

How to increase or decrease the audio volume in the camcorder, while it plays a recorded tape ?

I tried the zoom button zoom in or zoom out , no effect.
Old July 31st, 2003, 10:34 PM   #56
Major Player

Every one forgot about the manual translation I guess!!

There are PV DV 953 and NV GS 70 ENGLISH manual are available online in pdf format, from one call.com

Any Japanese if they see both, they can just cut and paste and add some extra thing specific to gs 100 by translating.

The job will be done almost a week, even if they spend one hour alteast per day.

We need only the japanese translation to english, then some one can arrange it together and create another pdf file

HOw is it? any suggestions!! Comon Japanese Gurus Pls give hands?
Old August 3rd, 2003, 11:37 PM   #57
Major Player

Frank

So GS 100k or black Mamba, selling as hot cake I guess!

(like its already in the hands of 100 english speaking persons of US, quote from chuckmesiter)
Old August 4th, 2003, 01:46 AM   #58
New Boot

okay i think this needs to be said again
if in fact you bought this or any other cam
i feel the learning curve would be the same
take for instance if you bought a new powershot s50 you would have to read the manual over and over a few times before it set in its the same here its mostly greek "so to speak" to all of us but if in fact you commit yourself to learning as in an english manual its the same
all memory
the menu is jap ok
but so is any other cam manual the trick is repitition i swear its all is the same if every cam were to come in jap tomorrow we would not have any trouble learnng it

well why dont ya just whip me on the head with all this crazy in circles of insane madness and just gimmie the translation will ya meister... sheesh =)
just kidding but even if translation was available over in that hyperbole jungle you are better off just browsing gs70 mx5k and 953 manuals and take yerself over to a superstore that sells one of the above and spend 20 mins tinkering & it will all become clear
i had some doubts about a jap language camera but its fairly straightforward after an afternoon cram session with the above manuals and the store visit i feel much better and would advise anyone looking for a camera with a 1000$ pricetag dont let the language get in the way
compare what you get when you are at that superstore
$1000 cams have 2.5 screens 2mp stills 1 ccd and this is just things you notice within 2 seconds of "looking" dont even have to touch another camera to see the value you get for overlooking the language
i will say old meister is right about 1 thing americans are getting a bummer deal
IMHO it is the best investment for 1100 bucks worth
Shawn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 01:59 AM   #59
New Boot

another thing is
do get yerself a tripod
its much easyier learning with the cam sitting on a tripod you can read the english essentials laid out on the floor whilst your cam sits in front of you at the most cumfy level all pages printed out while you tinker away
i cant say how much i have found it so easy to sit and get this thing commited to memory with it sitting on a stand and pages strewn about dont forget to have yer gs 70 and mx5k manual avaliable on yer pc for quik viewing and pages from 953 as well
i would love to have an english translation but realy its not so difficult

i would change my tune if the manuals above did not exist
Shawn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 02:24 AM   #60
New Boot

raj
its simple
for playback of recordings to hear in higher volume
just hold the jog dial down for a sec
the menu dial and then viola
adjust the sound the round "i know u know what im talkin bout"
dial just press and hold it for like until you get bars for adjust

ding
ding
pow
Shawn Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant