Operating the GS100K at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 18th, 2003, 02:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Operating the GS100K

Hi there...

I was thinking to start a thread here for helping us(the owners of the GS100K which don't know Japanese) out.

The menus are already translated. I did some translations for the buttons available on this cam(only on paper so far, but I'll make it in digital format soon as well).

Does anyone else have some other things that would like to share...? Eventalually some tips regarding the operation...
Marius Burz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 02:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Many thanks to whoever did the entire work for translating the menus(I think it was Masaki-san).
The latest version is available at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MX5000...K_Menus_02.zip

It is a PDF file
Old July 18th, 2003, 08:55 AM   #3
New Boot

Hello Marius... How are you.

I am also translating buttons and messages on LCDs.
I did finish translating buttons ( 4 pages ).

messages on LCD are on the way, but it will takes time. When I finish, I will upload to yahoo group.

If you want to see what I have done so far, send me a e-mail, I will send you a copy of my translation.

Thank you!!!
Masaki  Kuraoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 07:57 PM   #4
New Boot

Using online translators and the GS70 and DV953 English manuals for reference, I translated some of the first few pages of the GS100 manual in HTML format.

Partially translated

Japanese
Mike de la Fuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 11:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

WOW Mike ... great job. I also saw your pdf with the translation of the screen menus. I'm sure many thanks go out to Masaki as well for all his assistance too. I feel so much better about this camera now that I see the menus and the manual translation that I am seriously considering purchasing it now. I have been on the fence about it only because of the Japanese menus. I also asked one of my colleagues (he sells SONY pro video equipment) this evening to get me a price on the SONY PDX-10 because I really don't wish to purchase a sub level camera. The reports on this camera (the GS100) have been outstanding and the price is right where it should be for the great performance I have been seeing and reading about here.

Thanks for making me feel a little more comforatable about this camera. I think by the end of the weekend I may re-think my DV953 which is still backordered.

Great job to one and all. Now if I could make up my mind (smile)

Rick.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 08:38 AM   #6
New Boot

Hello Mike.

Your translation is very good. I hope that you can translate entire manual. (But I know its over 200 pages. No easy job...)

Anyway, I uploaded Buttons & LCD message translation at Yahoo Groups. It is Bitmap and Windows Meta File Format. So that anyone can create own cheat sheet.

If you can create PDF file, that will be great!

Thank you very much for your hard work.
Old July 19th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Masaki-san,

Thank you very much for your translations. I have consolidated them into a PDF.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MX5000...Essentials.zip

I have also put a back up at:

http://engyew.home.comcast.net/NV-GS...Essentials.zip

Since there is confusion about the origins of the translation, I have clearly credited you for the excellent work. Thanks!
Eng Yew Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 02:22 PM   #8
New Boot

Hello. Mr. Lee.

Your PDF file is very nice. Job well done!
Old July 19th, 2003, 05:56 PM   #9
New Boot

Masaki,

Thanks. But there's definitely no substitution for a real Japanese speaker and I think you're guides will be the most helpful. Moreover, I can't even begin to decipher the LCD screen messages since in the manual they're mostly entered as graphics, not text, so I can't feed them into a machine translator.

As far as further manual translations, I'd be willing to do more and with the contents translated if there any special requests, post them somewhere in this forum. The summer semester is winding down and the fall semester doesn't start until late August so I'll have a lot of free time (I had a paying summer project but I guess I worked too fast and did all the work!).

Mike
Mike de la Fuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi there...

I still don't have some documents translated in electronic format, but I think I know how to handle the cam pretty good. So if you have some questions email me. I'll be glad to help out.

ciao,
marius
Old July 21st, 2003, 08:47 AM   #11
New Boot

Hello. Mike.

If you need help translating Japanese, let me know. Just send me a e-mail. I will try to answer your question as much as possible.

Thank you very much for your hard work!!!
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:26 PM   #12
Major Player

Panasonic GS 100, pv dv 953, mx 5000, trv 950, trv 900

Hi,

Can any one rank these camcorders(3CCD) based on resolution, color accuracy(with out bleeding), low light performance.

According to my observation(based on the forum's discussions)

The top performer on the top in order,

NV-GS 100K
NV-MX 5000
TRV 900 (SONY)
PV-DV 953
TRV 950 (SONY)

Please correct me if i am wrong and why?

I am going to get the top performer, in this case nv-gs 100k.

Thanks
sam.
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:31 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Sam... no offence, but this should have been posted under "GS-100 User Reactions" thread, since this thread was a try to help the ones that already own a GS100K handle the cam. Let's keep it that way... Please.
Old July 21st, 2003, 05:12 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks

Marius,
Thanks for reminding me!

I posted there, no offence!

sam.
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 01:54 AM   #15
Major Player

An acquaintance has expressed interest in trying a translation of the GS100 manual, but would like text or MS word (not PDF) versions of the English manual for the 953 and GS70 from which to work. Any suggestions on obtaining these?
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant