PV-GS70 MPEG4 recording time limit? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 25th, 2003, 04:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PV-GS70 MPEG4 recording time limit?

I'm seriously considering the GS70, primarily for its MPEG-4 capability, probably will seldom put a tape in the unit.

Reading through the PV-DV953 and PV-GS70 manuals, its hard to tell if they have a hard time limit on the 320x240 MPEG4 capture mode to the SD card. The times listed in the manual seem to be max time for the 8 MB SD card provided with the camera, not maximum times for any size media, but the wording is very vague.

So, the question for those of you with a GS70 or a PV-DV953, is there a hard limit to how long you can record a single clip in MPEG4, other than the available SD media size?

For what I plan to use the camera for, I'd like to be able to shoot for at least 5-10 minutes using the highest quality 320x240 MPEG4 capture mode if possible, using large SD cards.

Thanks,

Michael Eskin
San Diego, CA
Michael Eskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2003, 04:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

On a GS100, the camcorder says 34 minutes of MPEG-4 at best quality for a 128mb SD card. I have never tried to record that much.

The GS100 MPEG-4 capabilities look similar to that of the GS70.

If you buy a 256mb SD card, you should be able to squeeze in a hour.
Eng Yew Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2003, 04:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

On the GS100, have you been able to record longer than 2 minutes continuously in best quality MPEG-4?

I guess I could always just buy the camera and if it doesn't work out, return it...

Thanks,

Michael
Michael Eskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2003, 12:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Honestly, I have never really tried to record MPEG-4 for any significant length, I prefer DV.

The MPEG-4 record function works like the normal camcorder record function. You just switch the camcorder so it records to the SD card rather than to a DV tape. So I imagine you should be able to record continuously like you would to tape.

I beleive the GS100 and GS70 behaves the same way, unless you really wanted the latest technology and are willing to accept reading Japanese kanji the GS70 is your best bet.
Eng Yew Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant