DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   GS100K Battery Question? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/12595-gs100k-battery-question.html)

Wei Jen MD July 29th, 2003 08:33 PM

GS100K Battery Question?

Hello Guys,

I checked the Panasonic Jap Web Site, and found out the batteries for GS100K takes quiet long time to recharge. I have my firend in Jap bought the cam and the VW-VBD7 battery for me, but I am wondering, should I get the VW-VBD210 also? And what is the VW-AD10 for? Is it a fater rechager for the batteries?

Thanks
Wei

Eng Yew Lee July 29th, 2003 09:01 PM

The GS100K takes batteries compatible with the GS70 and GS50.

In the US, this is the Panasonic CGA-DU21 or CGA-DU14 Lithium Ion Battery Pack. You can also get a compatible brand, the Power 2000 by VidPro USA. These batteries are still hard to find in the US because of the relatively recent introduction of the new Panasonic models.

You can get these batteries from www.bhphotovideo.com or www.jandr.com. VidPro USA can be found at www.vidprousa.com

I bought the Power 2000 CGA-DU21 compatible from J and R and it works just fine with my GS100. The charging time is no worse or better than my old Canon gear.

My GS100 from PriceJapan.com came with a VW-VBD140 which is equivalent to a CGA-DU14 which provides about 1400mAh of power. NOTE: the similarities in the numbers. :)

The CGA-DU21 is the same as, guess what, the VW-VBD210, providing 2100mAh of power.

The CGA-DU14 is supposed to last about an hour, the CGA-DU21 about 1.5 hours.

MADE REGULAR CREW STATUS!!!!!! YEAH!!!!

Bogdan Vaglarov July 29th, 2003 09:44 PM

Wei Jen,
If you have GS100 (battery hungry) VBD7 is good thing - belt clip big pack connecting to the cam via cable and coupler. VBD210 is slightly larger than the provided with the cam VBD140 and is the choice if you want to be more mobile/light.

AD10 is same charger as for GS70 with one battery charging slot (GS100 comes with adapter with 2 charging slots)

Wei Jen MD July 30th, 2003 07:58 AM

Hello Eng Yew,

How long does it take for you to charge the VW-VBD140 with the charger came with the GS100K? I don't mean the first time, since new batteries need to take some extra times. I am currious to know how long does it take to get the battery ready to go, then I can decide if I want to get extra batteries or not, even my firend already ordered the VBD7 for me.

Hello Bogdan,

Thanks for the answer about the AD10. It kind of no use for GS100K, since GS100K already got a 2 slot battery charger!

Thanks
Wei

Eng Yew Lee July 30th, 2003 11:07 AM

Wei,

It took about an hour and a half or so. I don't usually clock charging time.

I generally buy enough batteries to last me a day (typically two to three hours of power for my type of shooting) and then charge them up overnight.

Think about it, if you are making a home movie or DVD, the maximum length of that DVD is about half an hour before your victims (er, friends and family) enter a catatonic state. For example, I shot 5 hours of footage in 5 days in Maui and I squeezed that down to a half an hour, highly entertaining (IMO), non-stop action packed movie. Shooting on average more than an hour a day for home movies is a diminishing return.