Is PDX10 worth 2X$ of DV953? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 4th, 2003, 06:34 AM   #1
New Boot

Is PDX10 worth 2X$ of DV953?

Hi all, I'm about to make a purchase decision in Australia.

The Sony PDX10(P) is about A$6000 street and the DV953 (500A in Oz) is about A$3000 street. My question to you all is the Sony worth twice the price of the Pana?

I've done back to back testing of both cams, and for my needs, I don't do very low light indoors, and plenty of outdoors. I have very limited need for XLR audio (the extra gear is a hassle).

My primary criteria is rich color and resolution of image.

I'd like to start playing with 16:9, and probably shoot all footage in 16:9 from now on.

Like to hear your feedback.
Syd Low Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 06:57 AM   #2
Wrangler

I like my PDX-10, but have never seen a DV953. The TRV-950 would be closer in price and has many of the same PDX-10 features.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 09:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

for that much money (6k) i would import my own DVX100, which i did and i would NEVER look back...
I also have the MX500 and both go hand in hand quite beautifully.. cant wait till the GS is released.. THEN we'd have the perfect pair...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 02:06 PM   #4
Outer Circle

In some ways the PDX10 is better, like with its DVCAM format, XLRs and low shutter settings. But is it worth it? No. Also the PV-DV953/MX5 is much better balanced, easier to hold, as is the Pana DVX100.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 03:42 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Frank, I think I'm persuaded - it seems the DVCAM and XLR audio is really the 'killer' difference - and if you're a semi-pro needing the audio improvements these two gives, then it's something the Pana can't do as it's internals are different.

I'm going to do one last ambient light test with the Pana against the Sony, and also a 16:9 test back to back, and if its negligible, as I expect, I'm going to go for the Pana.

Thanks again for all your feedback.
Syd Low Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 04:55 AM   #6
New Boot

I've decided to import a PDX10P from www.expandore.com

It works out at A$1000 more than the MX500A - and as every dealer I tried was out of stock of the MX500A anyway - I thought I'd take the plunge and do an import.

Will let you all know how I go with Expandore (there were many positive experiences by folks on the AGX100 forum with them).
Syd Low Mel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant