NLE Software - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 22nd, 2003, 05:42 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks Dookee :-)

I will checkin to the link for vegas.

As for as now, i am just looking for a cheapie solution, because i am not going to get into professional work now.

So the cheapest would be to upgrade to XP and use MM2.
I can get from Costco for 94 bucks xp upgrade.

I already have adobe premiere(evaluation), but i dont like much.
I will evaluate Vegas and if its more impressive, as you said, its codec is better, So I will get Vegas later.

I dont think there is direct impact due to FILE32 and NTFS, but yes, its an upgrade, so the management should be better than ME.
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2003, 05:33 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Samuel,

For 99.95 you can get Screenblast Movie Studio 3.0 from Sonic Foundry. Basically, it's a stripped down consumer version of the more professional Vegas 4.0. The user interface is very similar so the transition to Vegas later is very easy if you decide to upgrade.

Just the other day I upgraded from Video Factory 2.0c and this newer version looks good. The change in product name is because it's now owned by Sony Pictures.

I've been playing around a bit with Movie Maker. It's pretty good and easy to use. However, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I can only seem to save the movies as WMV. For creating DVDs, I'd want to be able to save as MPEG2. I think AVI to MPG is better than AVI to WMV to MPG.

By the way, SMS 3.0 also uses the MainConcept MPEG2 encoder.
Aylwin Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 09:31 AM   #18
Tourist

NLE Software

DooKee Cho,
I looked on the Premiere website under 3rd party hardware and found no reference to the NV-GS100K Camcorder. What did you use?
Rob
<<<-- Originally posted by DooKee Cho : Hi Samuel,

I'm using both Adobe premiere and Vegas to capture DV from GS100 and both working great.
You can capture 16:9 footage using both program. Personally I prefer Vegas because Vegas is much easier than premiere(to give same effect) and it's using mainconcept DV codec which is better (people said but I couldn't distinguish by my eyes though) than MS DV codec which is used by premiere. However premiere has a lot of third party add-on program. I guess Vegas is cheaper than premiere. You can download demo version of Vegas (I guess premiere too!) and test them by yourself. (http://sonicfoundry.com/download/step2.asp?DID=437)

BTW you'd better upgrade winME to XP or Windows 2000. There is a limitation in filesystem with FAT32 and you should use NTFS filesystem. You know 1 hour DV file used to be a 12G file in hard disk. Furthermore XP(2000) has better memory management system which is important to capture DV without drop frame. -->>>
Old December 24th, 2003, 02:30 PM   #19
New Boot

GS100K uses IEEE1394(firewire or iLink) port to transfer dv files. It uses standard "OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394" so that you don't need to know about the hardware dependency. In Premiere, you can set it as "generic camcorder or general camcorder".
DooKee Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #20
Tourist

u can get vegas 4.0 for about 145.00 .
Nuno Vasconcelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2003, 10:54 PM   #21
Regular Crew

GDAY,

I just thought Id let yah know I am using Pinnacle 8...the ATI Version that was bundled with my ATI Radeon 9800 All in Wonder VGA card....

Captures great and works well....they said on the pack that its a 99$ RRT so maybe you could pick it up much cheaper...

Thats my 2 cents,

Cheers,

Lincoln
Lincoln Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 12:34 AM   #22
Outer Circle

I heard that the slightly older "Studio 7" was better.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 06:44 AM   #23
New Boot

Pinnacle Studio 8 is available from outpost.com for free, after rebates. On the lower right hand side of their home page, click on "Software, Games, & DVD".
Fred Alberni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 07:03 AM   #24
Major Player

With due respects to Lincoln who appears to be one of the few who have actually been able to make Pinnacle Studio 8 work, do not buy this software unless you have an iron clad, written and legally notarized agreement that you can return it for a full refund. I have every version of Studio going back to Studio DV and version 8 is the worst software I have ever seen...even worse than MS Windows 1.0. In 1 year of trying to get it to work I only made 1 DVD that would play. I gave up and bought Vegas and haven't looked back. If you can actually buy it for the price Nuno says, RUN...DON'T WALK...and get it NOW. Keep in mind that you'll have to buy a separate DVD authoring package. If you can't get it for that price, get Sony Movie Studio. It is a scaled down version of Vegas with DVD authoring.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 10:18 AM   #25
Tourist

NLE Software

DooKee Cho,
Thanks for the ifo regarding Premier support. for the NV-GS100K.

I went to the Vegas site as recommended and dowloaded the demo. Unfortunately I am a neophyte when it comes to NLE editing software. I was expecting some tutalage from the site but but only received the sample program but with no accompanying instructions for a novice such as me.

<<<-- Originally posted by DooKee Cho : GS100K uses IEEE1394(firewire or iLink) port to transfer dv files. It uses standard "OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394" so that you don't need to know about the hardware dependency. In Premiere, you can set it as "generic camcorder or general camcorder". --
>>>
Old December 29th, 2003, 10:46 AM   #26
Wrangler

I've had no problems with Priemere Pro and the GS100K.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 11:47 PM   #27
Major Player

I like Vegas 4.0 with DVD authoring

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant